Basic tuning question.

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by trolloc, Jan 4, 2006.

1. trolloc

Jan 4, 2006
    Let me start off by saying Im a complete newbie to bass guitar...and guitar in general. :help:

So Im gonna ask some really basic questions the next few get the point. :oops:

First question:

When you tune a guitar do you hold down a fret...or do you just strike the open string?

Second question:

Is it okay to leave the guitar tuned if you play it everyday...or are you suppose to loosen the strings and tune it every time you play ( ive heard that guitars left with tight strings can bend the neck or something)?

Anyway thanks in advance and Ill be back with more questions... :D

Washburn RB-2002
  2. Alvaro Martín Gómez A.

Alvaro Martín Gómez A. TalkBass' resident Bongo + cowbell player

Hey, first off, welcome to TalkBass! :)

For your first question, I assume you're talking about tuning your bass with an electronic tuner. In that case, the open strings are OK for that, but make sure that your bass is properly intonated: Tune each string using open notes and then do the same with the notes at 12th fret. The tuner should give you exactly the same results.

For the second, it's OK to leave your bass tuned. In fact, it should be like that because constantly tuning and detuning isn't good for your neck (I mean, your bass').

Let us know whenever you have more questions!
  3. trolloc

Jan 4, 2006
    Actually I was talking about listening to the note with an online tuner and adjusting my string to match. So, if theres a different reply to that...please let me know.

4. Alvaro Martín Gómez A.

Alvaro Martín Gómez A. TalkBass' resident Bongo + cowbell player

Yes, it's OK to use the open strings for that. The best tuning method is using harmonics, but if you say that you're a total newbie, I think it's better to give some time to get used to your instrument before getting into that.