1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Basie bassist?

Discussion in 'Bassists [DB]' started by tomshepp, Oct 13, 2010.

1. tomshepp

tomshepp Supporting Member

Jan 11, 2006
    Maynard MA
    I've been listening to Sinatra At The Sands (1966) and really like the bassist. Anyone know who this is? The swing and note choices are just perfect.

2. Ed Fuqua

Ed Fuqua

Dec 13, 1999
    Augusta GA
    Chuck Sher publishes my book, WALKING BASSICS:The Fundamentals of Jazz Bass Playing.
    Probably Eddie Jones.

3. TroyK

TroyK Moderator Staff Member

Mar 14, 2003
    Seattle, WA
    I did a little searching for you, but came up blank. It's tough with these big band records to determine who was on them some times. There are several great bassists who were Basie Band alumnus.

4. That time period, my bread would be on Denverite, Buddy Catlett.

5. MR PC

MR PC Inactive

Dec 1, 2007
    Ralph Pena.

6. TroyK

Mar 14, 2003
    Seattle, WA
    Hold on there a second, Paul! I was thinking Buddy Catlett too, but whether it is indeed him or not, we Seattlites consider him a favorite son. What gives?

7. My bad, Troy. Buddy lived here for some time when I first started up. That's when I met him here so I just assumed he was originally from here.
    Great time feel no matter from whence he came.

8. TroyK

Mar 14, 2003
    Seattle, WA
    It's okay, I understand why we all want to claim him. I checked his bio and it turns out he was born in California, but let's just pretend like we don't know that.

9. MR PC

MR PC Inactive

Dec 1, 2007
    Norman Keenan is credited as being Basie's bassist at The Sands during the period that Frank Sinatra made this recording.

That isn't to say that Sinatra didn't bring in his own guy for this particular performance.

10. Screw that. Let's just split him. :eek:

11. john m

john m Supporting Member

Jan 15, 2006
    I don't have the recording on hand, but the style sounds like
    Eddie Jones. I used to watch him in awe when he played with a duo (piano & bass) in Cavi's in Manchester CT.

Charlie Gigliotti (piano), Eddie Jones (bass), both on the big bandstand in the sky, RIP.

john m

12. hdiddy

hdiddy Official Forum Flunkee Supporting Member

Mar 16, 2004
    Richmond, CA
    BTW: Norman Keenan plays w/ a Basie in one of the JazzCasual DVDs. Def worth checking out.

Sample here:

13. TroyK

Mar 14, 2003
    Seattle, WA
    So, whichever of us says "No, I wouldn't want that! Let the other city have him.", gets declared the true owner of Buddy Catlett by King Solomon?

14. tomshepp

Jan 11, 2006
    Maynard MA
    Wow! Wish I could know for sure. Or, maybe just try to check out all of em'. :meh: Thanks guys!

Here's a good one..... How much of the bass part is the player, and how much is the arranger? I know how I feel. The player brings his/her own personality to the part. That's what I feel, makes this recording.

15. Michael Glynn

Michael Glynn

Feb 25, 2004
    Seattle
    On the original Sinatra-Basie album in 1962 the bassist was Buddy Catlett.....who is definitely from Seattle.;)

16. OK, that does it. Seattle gets...oh, 50% 'cause he's been up there for so long, but even Troika admits he was born in Ca., so, oh....25% for them. I get the other 25% for guessing he was on the side in the first place. We give Denver nothing 'cause half the **** I say in here nobody believes anyway.

17. TroyK

Mar 14, 2003
    Seattle, WA
    Well, wherever he's from, he's a beautiful cat.

18. MR PC

MR PC Inactive

Dec 1, 2007
    Norman Dewey Keenan (November 23, 1916, Union, South Carolina - February 12, 1980, New York) was an American jazz double-bassist.
    Keenan began on piano before picking up bass at age 15. He worked with Tiny Bradshaw (mid-1930s), Lucky Millinder (1939-40), Henry Wells (1940), Earl Bostic, and Cootie Williams, and jammed at Minton's Playhouse around the same time. Following World War II he worked with Williams again and with Eddie Cleanhead Vinson in 1947-49. From 1949 to 1957 he was the bassist in the house trio at the Village Vanguard. After backing Harry Belafonte from 1957 to 1962 and working on the TV show Hootenanny, he began playing jazz again in the 1960s, with Count Basie (1965-74) and Roy Eldridge (1966).

19. tomshepp

Jan 11, 2006
    Maynard MA
    Thanks for the info. :) What a great player!

20. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Feb 28, 2021