Basie Small Combo Style

Discussion in 'Recordings [DB]' started by hdiddy, Sep 19, 2006.

1. hdiddy

hdiddy Official Forum Flunkee Supporting Member

Mar 16, 2004
    Richmond, CA
    Hi guys,

I went old-school and bought an old LP "Basie and Friends". I just put it on the turntable for the first time and this stuff just kills me. I don't like Basie's big band stuff as much as his small combo group playing. Ray Brown, NHOP, John Heard, all doing bass duty on one song or another. What more can you ask for?
    I love this small group type of swing. Brushes, guitar, bass, and piano.

"Count Basie and the Kansas City 7" was excellent to, as was the Jazz Casual DVD with Count Basie as that was a small group type playing.

Anyways, can you guys give me any other recommendations to keep an eye out for? Doesn't have to be Basie, but I'd like to hear more in this vein. Thanks. I can die listening to this stuff.

2. Hey diddy, i'm thinking the one thing that sets a Basie feel apart from others is the addition of the guitar playing a strong acoustic four with the bass. Freddie Green, of course, was the boss at this type of cookin'.
    Jim Hall does alot of this, of course on a much more 'Modern' vibe. I love this feel, and in a bass/guitar platform, almost any Jim Hall will do the trick. But there's a helluva lotta small Basie bands with Freddie, so have at it.:hyper:

3. Ed Fuqua

Ed Fuqua

Dec 13, 1999
    Augusta GA
    Chuck Sher publishes my book, WALKING BASSICS:The Fundamentals of Jazz Bass Playing.
    Aren't there some Kansas City 6 recordings too? Lotsa great Pres on those.

4. That's right...and I would think if you'd Google Basie, you'd probably come up with some results.

5. SteveC

SteveC Moderator Staff Member

There are a number of trio recodings by Andre Previn, Ray Brown and Mundell Lowel - piano, bass and guitar. You don't have the brushes from the drummer but it is some serious trio work and it's Ray Brown, whom I htink is the best walking bass player ever- and his solos are OK, too.

Also - Dave Brubeck. It has a lot of drums w/brushes, piano and bass. Take 5 and Time Out are classics.

6. musicman5string

musicman5string Inactive

Jan 17, 2006
    Ouch.

You're entitled to like or dislike what you do, which is fine, but for me, I don't know another big band that swings like Basie....there's true joy in that music.

7. You betcher ass!:hyper:

8. SteveC

SteveC Moderator Staff Member

Not to derail the thread further, but I haven't attended a jazz clinic or rehearsal or anything involving big band swing where the Basie Band wasn't given as probabaly the best example you could listen to for that style.

I think I have about 3 days worth on my iPod.

9. IMHO, Andre Previn shouldn't be mentioned in the same sentence as Bill Basie!:scowl:

10. I agree with Paul 100%. Heard Previn leading the L.A. phil and
    was not as impressed as I was with the former conductor.
    ( Carlo Maria Guilini ):meh:

11. I was mainly addressing Mr. Previns ability as a jazz pianist....he's a wonderful musician, of course and always surrounds himself with great players....Red, Ray, Leroy, Jim Hall, Shelley Manne and on and on.I can't critique on any other basis...but, as a jazz pianist....no thanks!

12. hdiddy

Mar 16, 2004
    Richmond, CA
    Yup. I'm not looking for Big Band here. I'm looking for small groups that feature a huge swing and a groovy feel - something I can try to incorporate into the groups I play with.

The big band stuff tends to mask the underlying simplicity of Basie's playing. I love Basie's playing. That's the stuff I wanna hear. I think it's perfect in every way and love that he's so understated. It's swinging, elegant, beautiful and straight to the point every time.

IMO, the big band arrangements are bit busy due to the number of instruments. It doesn't mean I don't like them - it just doesn't speak to me as much. I like being able to hear every individual voice and how it wraps around everything else. Maybe this is a Basie and Basie only kind of thing. Just wondering if there were other examples of similar music out there.

Thanks FOGHORN for the Kansas City 6 suggestion. I'll look for them. And Paul, you forgot that I am a Jim Hall junkie too. :) I have lots of his cds and I totally dig his early stuff. The stuff he did with Paul Desmond or Art Farmer is SOOOOO good. :cool:

13. hdiddy

Mar 16, 2004
    Richmond, CA
    Thanks Steve I'll check them out. I already have a bunch of Ray Brown trio stuff with various people. By far my fav is with Monty Alexander & Russell Malone, or with Benny Green & the drummer whose name I forget. I need to get into more Brubeck anyways and see what that's all about. Havne't done that yet.

14. hdiddy

Mar 16, 2004
    Richmond, CA
    For anybody who's interested, eMusic.com has the Kansas City 5 and 6 available for download, as well as the "Basie and Friends" album I mentioned above. Pretty cool, I haven't listened to them yet. They also have a set of Nat King Cole trio tunes available too. I grabbed alla dese last night. :hyper:

15. Yeah diddy....good news bringing up Nat! I feel bad, not mentioning him because he was one of the bosses of the piano, guitar, and bass trios!
    And don't forget the Oscar Peterson Trio with Herb and Ray. That trio live at the Stratford Shakespearian Festival is IMO one of the great records in jazz history.

16. Ed Fuqua

Ed Fuqua

Dec 13, 1999
    Augusta GA
    Chuck Sher publishes my book, WALKING BASSICS:The Fundamentals of Jazz Bass Playing.
    Well if yer looking for things without drummers you also oughta check out the release called (I think) EARLY AHMAD JAMAL TRIOS. It's a compilation of the first two recordings (on OKEH?) one with Eddie Kennedy on bass and Ray Crawford on guitar, the other (and majority of the recording) with Israel Crosby on bass. I found it in the cut out bin at J & R; it's VERY swinging. And you can find most of the Miles Davis Quintet's 50s repertoire on there;)

17. Don Higdon

Don Higdon In Memoriam

Dec 11, 1999
    Princeton Junction, NJ
    There is compelling session in the middle of the Benny Goodman Carnegie Hall Concert in 1938. It's a 2 CD album, and it's the sort of thing a library is likely to have. They do 16 minutes on Honeysuckle Rose, at about 240 meter. Basie, Walter Page and Freddie Green - America's rhythm section - lay down 4:4 like you've never heard; plus Gene Krupa (behaving himself); soloists are Buck Clayton, Harry James, Lester Young, Johnny Hodges, Harry Carney, and Benny. Plus, there's two choruses of the rhythm section just walking, where the drive is phenomenal. The recording equipment is primitive, but you can still feel the electricity in the air at this live concert.

18. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Aug 2, 2021