Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Basketball Hoops

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Steve S, Mar 4, 2004.

1. Steve S

Steve S

Jul 26, 2000
    A basketball hoop and backboard was planted in front of my house before I bought it. It was fun when my children were young but now that they're older, it just gets in the way.

How do I remove this? The steel pole is planted into a concrete block at the edge of my lawn.

2. odie

odie Supporting Member

Fuunny he posted it in your forum first!!!

Ok dig it out. Or dig down then cut pole.

3. Accidently back into it with a 3/4 ton pickup truck...just like me dad did to mine. He says it was an "accident", and like yours, my hoop was set in concrete. It didn't remove the hoop from the ground but it shook it loose enough that me and my 4 friends could just pull in out of the ground.

4. miccheck1516

miccheck1516 Guest

Feb 15, 2003
    Ireland
    Hmm when i saw the thread title i thought, hmm basketball nets are cool, even if u dont play basketball, and then i find you want to cut yours down, some people just dont appreciate what they've got ;)

5. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    Is this a serious question? You don't know how to remove a pole in the ground?

-Mike

6. Steve S

Steve S

Jul 26, 2000
    I was wondering if there was an easy way to do this. I've never seen anybody remove a basketball hoop and pole that has been stuck into the ground.

7. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    OK. We had to move ours a couple years ago when we enlarged our driveway. First off, remove the backboard, so all you have is the pole. Ours was in dirt, into the ground, so my method won't help you.

How big is the conrete block? Can it be moved? Your only other option is to cut it down. You'll need a special saw and blade for that.

-Mike

8. Mike Money

Mike Money Banned

Mar 18, 2003
    Bakersfield California
    Avatar Speakers Endorsing Hooligan
    Tank+wench

9. Winch ;)

10. Mike Money

Mike Money Banned

Mar 18, 2003
    Bakersfield California
    no no no. Tanks plus chicks are sexy.

twit.

;)

11. Steve S

Steve S

Jul 26, 2000
    The concrete block seems to be threefeet all around, including into the dirt. So I have to cut down the pole then try to remove the concret. Wow...seems like a big task.

12. Mike Money

Mike Money Banned

Mar 18, 2003
    Bakersfield California

You could get Paco and Eddie to do it for like... $50. or less. And they will even fill the hole back in with dirt.

13. Matthew Bryson

Matthew Bryson Guest

Jul 30, 2001

I see a trip to the local equipment rental place in your future. You ever run a jack-hammer before?

14. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    Nawww....cut the pole down, and put a nice planter there, with some flowers.

-Mike

15. Ty McNeely

Ty McNeely

Mar 27, 2000
    TX
    Can we say overkill?? ;)

A sledge hammer will do the trick, my friend. I would cut the pole as close to the ground as possible, then break out the ol' 30# sledge and get after it. Shouldn't take more than a half-dozen whacks to get the top layer a little disturbed.
    Lather. Rinse. Repeat.

16. Nick Gann

Nick Gann Talkbass' Tubist in Residence

Mar 24, 2002
    Silver Spring, MD
    That's how I'd do it.

If for nothing more than the stress relief/anger management ;)

17. Ty McNeely

Ty McNeely

Mar 27, 2000
    TX
    Exactly.

Matta fact....

Where you from Steve? I'll be there Saturday morning....it's been a bad week:bawl:

18. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
  19. Steve S

Steve S

Jul 26, 2000
    Thanks for all the responses to my question. It looks like I'll be using a sledghammer because I've never used a jackhammer before. I live in Seattle where.....it's raining outside.

20. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    Yes...it is pouring here today. Oh well.

Steve....are you a golfer? We are going to the Golf Show tomorrow, at the Seahawks Stadium Exhibition Center.

-Mike