Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Basking in the afterglow... (loooong)

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by lildrgn, Nov 25, 2002.

1. lildrgn

lildrgn

Jul 11, 2000
    Seattle, WA
    Hey all,

Well we played Saturday at the Sit n Spin and it was great. That club is well known in the Seattle area for being one of the "cool" clubs in town. It has great, GREAT sound and a nice big stage. Nice lighting and the room can hold about 150 people.

At 9:30 or so, there were probably 100 or so people there. It was a big rock night, with my band, Ethyl, and two Rock (with a capital R) bands to follow. For the first time in a while, I was nervous. Why? Not sure. Maybe cause my wife was there for the first time in over a year (had a baby in April, been MIA at gigs ever since ;) )? Maybe because if we did well our I.C.I. (Indie Cred Index) would shoot up? Maybe because there were at least 20 people there because of me? Who knows... Anyway, being nervous is good, right? Just stretch out beforehand...

So we go on, do the pickslide/Big Rock Intro, and do our thing. We're from the school of, the less talk/dead space between songs, the better. Keep the Rock coming. So it's 3 songs in before my guitarist/singer says anything. People are loving it. They finally "get" it. We play more songs, they dig it, we get great applause.

Immediately afterwards, people are very receptive and congratulatory, even moreso than usual. You know the drill...

Them: "You guys sounded great!"
    Me: "Thanks! Thanks for coming out!"
    Them: "Ok" over their shoulder as they race for their cars.

But on Saturday... they stayed! They made specific comments! They finally "got" it. Instead of all leaving right as the last note was played, they stayed and talked and it was really gratifying. Members of the other bands mentioned how we "raised the bar" for the night's performances. An O.G. friend of ours said he put us in the top 3 performances he'd ever seen. The other two were Nirvana and Jellyfish! How humbling...

Anyway, enough rambling. Aren't great shows just... great???