Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Bass 101 Questions

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by lildrgn, Dec 27, 2000.

1. lildrgn

lildrgn

Jul 11, 2000
    Seattle, WA
    I've been playing bass for about 15 years. Even with that experience, I find myself with questions that I should have had answered years ago. So, without further adieu, here are some off the top of my head.

1. On a preamp, what is the effects loop and how is it utilized?

2. Active vs Passive. I realize Active pickups use batteries and Passive do not. But other than that, what is the difference?

I'm sure there are other "beginner" questions out there. Let's hear some of them!

2. dot74

dot74

Aug 24, 2000
    I am learning the major scales and chords/arpeggios and how they intergrate with each other to actually make some music. My question is this: What is the chromatic scale? I figure once this question is answered, I can then begin with figuring out the chords and stuff. Or I might post more questions.....

3. lildrgn

lildrgn

Jul 11, 2000
    Seattle, WA
    Well, the non-musical explanation is that a chromatic scale includes every note of the scale. For example, if you start on the open A of your bass, to go up chromatically you would go A A#/Bb B C C#/Db D D#/Eb E, etc. That's the best way I can explain it; I'm sure someone else will have a better way.

Bass is great!

Oh yeah, hey Dot74, didn't you contact me about my band a while back? We're playing New Year's Eve at the Rainbow Bar and Grill (www.therainbow.cc) in the University District. Come on down!

4. dj falkroy

dj falkroy

Dec 27, 2000
    Yo, the effects loop is where you can put your effects into your sound AFTER the EQ of the preamp. Like on my Trace Elliot, the signal goes through the graphic EQ first, then through the effects output to my processor, then back into the effects in. THe point is that you can get your bass sounding the way you want it clean with the graphic or whatever before you add effects, instead of plugging straight into the effects, then into the master input. It will sound a lot better like that. Active electronics have a preamp built into the bass so you have more control over the actual high, medium, and low frequencies direct from your bass. Active has a higher output than passive also, so you don't have to turn your amp up quite as much to get the same volume, although most amps have seperate inputs for passive and active anyway. Hope that helped.

5. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

dj, actually some amps have a pre-eq effects loop, some have a post-eq effects loop, and a few have both

THe chromatic scale is the 12 tone scale. All notes from C to shining C!:D

6. dot74

dot74

Aug 24, 2000
    thanks peoples, now another question, how do I make chords that sound good using the chromatic scale?