Bass 350 Help

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by SixString, Aug 2, 2002.

1. SixString

Jul 20, 2002
    I'm running a 1999 bass 350 out of a Trace Elliot 8ohm cab. At 8ohms it puts out 220wats.

I'm looking to add another cab on to it(2x10 or 1x15). I was wondering if i have to buy another 8 ohm cab or if it will work find with say a lower ohm cab.

If i were to just get another 8ohm cab would it increese my sound or just sound fuller?

What is the site that has the inexpensive but good cabs i think the Name started with an A(not ampeg)?
  2. Golem II

Golem II

Jan 4, 2002
    Macon, GA, USA
    You're probably thinking of Avatar (

The lower the total ohm load on the cab is, the more juice the amp puts out, and the hotter the amp gets. Two 8 ohm speakers give you a 4 ohm impedance load. If you put an 8 and a 4 together you'll get about 2.6 ohms, which I think is too much strain for the bass 350 (if the manual doesn't say you can do it, don't do it.)

Stick to 4 ohms (2 8 ohm cabs,) and get something that balances out your current cab (if you have big, slow speakers get a 2x10. If you have thin, papery-sounding speakers get a 1x15.) Don't get anything that will break your back over the course of a few years.
  3. The Bass 350 specs indicate that it will pump out 400 Watts at 2 ohms, 350 watts at 4 ohms or 220 watts at 8 ohms.

So if you go with an 8 and a 4 your okay, as well as with an 8 and an 8.
  4. SixString

Jul 20, 2002
    so if i go with an 8 and a 4 i'll be butting out 350 with the 1x15 and 220with the 4x10. Is that a good idea? And will it sound better then no 1x15? Also is the Avatar 1x15 a good choice? I dont want anything expensive and i'm not the pickyist person about sound right now as long as its not horrible
  5. I'd get an 8ohm 15.When you have an uneven load, like 8ohm and 4ohm ,the lower impedence will take more power from the amp.If you get a 8ohm 15 both cabinets will get equal power and balance better.The Avatars use good Eminence speakers and are fairly well built so they should be ok.Do a search on Avatar and you'll get more opinions.
  6. SixString

Jul 20, 2002
    Well i have played through an avatar cab but i was wondering if it would work well does this mean that the 1x15 avatar would be a good choice ('m guessing your telling me the 1x15 avatar is an 8ohm speaker?)
  7. Hey SixString

I have a Bass 350 head and run it at a 2 ohm load with two 4 ohm SWR cabs. For the record the Bass 350 can be run at 2 ohm, but I would advise that the Limiter should not be defeated if you are going to do this. Just for safety's sake.

If you get another 8 ohm cab you will have a total load of 4 ohm and will get a total of 350W of juice out of your head that will be split evenly between the cabs (175W to each). If you get a 4 ohm cab you will have a total load of 2.6 ohms and get about 375W from the head. This would be unevenly split between the cabinets with twice as much power going to the 4 ohm bin, giving about 125W to the 8 ohm and 250W to the 4 ohm. This may change the overall tonal balance, which may be a good or a bad thing. The only way to really know is to try it out.

As far as what configuration of cab to get, I'm guessing from your comments you already have a 4x10? If so, that would depend on what you're after. A 1x15 will give a bigger rounder bottom end, whereas a 2x10 would give more punch and attack. Although, having said that, increasing the total speaker cone area tends to improve your low end overall anyway, and the addition of an extra cab should provide some "coupling" to passively increase overall volume. The piece below is afrom SWR's FAQ section:
    Personally I'd probably go for an 8 ohm 2x10 for balance and portability, but the best idea is to try a few different combinations out and figure out what suits your sound.

Good luck,
  8. SixString

Jul 20, 2002
    Well i'm realy interested in the avatar cabs. But i'm not sure about the ohms on thme all it says isl ike 400wats "RMS" and 800wats program If i get the Avatar is it gonig to run at 8 ohms? It doesnt say