Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Bass accessories?

Discussion in 'Basses [DB]' started by mikkejohansson, Feb 25, 2004.

1. So, I'm good on my way to buying a bass (borrowing at the momnet), and have posted some questions in another thread on that...

I hope I'm not wearing out my welcome by starting a different thread for another, related, question;

What accessoiries should i acquire to keep my bass in good condition and health? A good case or padded bag is onme thing I realize, but othger than that?

Humidifiers? Stands? Any type of polish?

What do I need?

2. CB3000

CB3000 Supporting Member

Jun 2, 2003
    Madison, wi
    A stand is a good thing to have. keeps the bass from being knocked around. a string winder is Great to have as well... check out "the tuning CD" at thetuningcd.com - it is a fantastic tool to get your intonation going. cheap too.

3. olivier

olivier

Dec 17, 1999
    Paris, France
    Hold your horses 3KBassMike.

If in his practice room mikkejohansson has a corner were the beast can be stored upright or enough floor space to lay it down on its side, then, IMO, a stand can wait.

A tuner is definitely a must have, of the chromatic kind, Korg makes some nice cheap ones which don't eat up a battery even when you forget to turn'em off (which is more often than not). I guess you can keep that item in the bass health paraphernalia.

Humidifiers: they are prone to leak inside the bass ! :eek: better to control the humidity of the environment ... wet towel on the back of a chair, AFAIC.

Polish etc: nothing absolutely necessary except a nice piece of clothe to wipe the bass thoroughly after each practice... yes, each practice.

What's much more handy than it appears at first glance is a bass wheel. You have to try one to realize that a DBer's life without a bass wheel is miserable. Though only when you want to move the bass in a healthy way.

I strongly advocate a hook in the wall to hang the bow so it does not fall and nobody steps or sits on it.

And save you money for a good bow, it's not accessory, it's essential :smug: to a healthy DB.

4. Jeff Bollbach

Jeff Bollbach Jeff Bollbach Luthier, Inc.

Dec 12, 2001
    freeport, ny
    First and foremost. A way to know and control the humidity of you basses' living space. Otherwise your accessory monies will all be spent at the luthier fixing a giant crack.

5. olivier

olivier

Dec 17, 1999
    Paris, France
    Yes: A HYGROMETER: I don't use one but would certainly if I was living in a place like North America where very dry conditions are common, due to continental winter that freeze-dries the atmosphere, or otherwise semi-arid weather. I guess you should find out by yourself if Swedish winters are severe enough to justify the modest investment in a hygrometer.

6. Chasarms

Chasarms Casual Observer

May 24, 2001
    Bettendorf, IA USA
    Not to discount the above mentioned items, but I'll add that nothing is more handy than a good quality, orchestral type music stand. Nothing is more frustrating when practicing than fighting with your book.

A little light on top is nice too and I have even seen some with a double ledge so you can shelf your bow and/or rosin, but the basic stand is nearly a must.

7. Alright, thnx!

I may be a ("second time") beginner to the URB, but i have about 15 years of EBG experience. So tuner and music stand is "check".

I was thinking also that I've seen (and heard of) players using some sort of "gut" strap around the bodey to allow it to move without cracking? I live way up north so a little movement in the wood is bound to happen... I've been chacking around with the local URB players (of wich there aren't very many) on their solutions to the climate problems (hygdrometers etc), but I'm still waiting for replys (e-mail oh sweet e-mail).

8. A quiver might keep you from putting the bow under the string and causing some bad damage to your baby. :oops: