1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Bass acoustics and its affect on the electromagnetic field

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by wisconsindead, Jun 12, 2014.

1. Sorry if this should be in Pickups...

I own a Guild Starfire II and its a bit quirky. Specifically the output low on the A string is not great. I've been talking with another TBer and he suggests that it is due to the acoustics of the bass. However this gets me wondering how the acoustic nature of a bass affects the electromagnetic interactions between the strings and pickups. People talk about woods and tone etc though I just find it odd that the acoustic sound transmits through the electromagnetic field.

Can anyone explain how this actually works? Does wood manipulate this field, even to the slightest degree?

2. Wood does not affect the EM field. However, the whole instrument vibrates, and some of those vibrations feed back into the string, either reinforcing or cancelling the string's "pure" behavior.

lz4005 likes this.