Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Bass action problems

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by McCalister999, Jul 13, 2005.

1. I've had my MIM Fender Jazz for over a year, and I'm finally starting to have problems. My strings buzz, mostly the E and A strings (especially the E). I also noticed that the saddle for the E string seems abnormally low, although I never lowered it. I tried to raise the saddle, but after a week or so it seems to have slid back to it's lower position and buzzes again. Any suggestions?

2. Anti_Wish

Anti_Wish

May 14, 2004
    Boston, Ma
    try and get new screws. if that doesnt work get a Leo quan badass II bridge. that is the most common fender mod.

3. TheNerdBass

TheNerdBass

Jun 30, 2005
    Detroit, MI
    Try looking around the setup forums, they might have a good answer for you. :smug:

4. found one, thanks.
    I also looked at the Badass II bridge, is it worth the money? Looks pretty... Badass?
    edit
    might getting new strings help? I replaced the stock strings when I got my bass over a year ago and haven't changed them since.

5. Juneau

Juneau

Jul 15, 2004
    Dallas, TX.
    And yes, new strings might help if yours are over a year old. You'll think you got a new bass lol. Strings stretch out over time and if not changed they can become too elastic. This is usually not an issue with flatwounds, but roundwounds will deffinantly lose their brightness and tension after that long.

6. eldave777

eldave777

May 24, 2005
    BADASS II. Solves all!

7. One more vote for the Badass II. I got one shortly after I bought a MIM Jazz and it is more than worth the money. I got better note definition, more sustain, and it seems to make the action a little tighter. Plus, I have never had any of the problems you are talking about with it.