Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Bass advancement and research

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Like a big dog, Oct 2, 2002.

1. Like a big dog

Like a big dog

Jun 18, 2001
    Texas, USA
    Hello

I am trying to find out some information on what is currently being done to advance the science of bass, and all guitars, for that matter. Company websites aren't good for that, since I guess they think they are keeping secrets, but I am interested in what work is being done. I am a mechanical engineering student, and I am trying to find something to write a mock research proposal on. If you have any suggestions on the advancement of musical technology, they will be greatly appreciated. Or if you have a random topic to suggest, I'll chase after those too. I am truely just looking for a place to start. This is a subject that interests me, and I really want to learn more. I have only been playing bass for a year now, but don't be afraid to use technical terms. I'll look them up.

Thanks
    Chris

2. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    You really can't put guitarists and bassists in the same category because they have different demands. Bassists, as a group, have always been more willing to accept innovations than guitarists.

Check out Basslabs basses, they're pretty close to the cutting edge. Lightwave pickups too.

This is an interesting question to as in the "Ask the luthiers" section. They probably stay on top of this stuff every day.

3. Like a big dog

Like a big dog

Jun 18, 2001
    Texas, USA
    Ok, thanks.

I'll transfer it over to that forum.

4. Blackbird

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    Well, you can keep the question general over here, but make it specific to basses for the luthiers, since that's what they're in business for.

Keep in mind that they might take a while to respond, if at all.

5. Some engineering students over here built a strat style guitar that weighed around 3lbs, by making the body of foam, and then covering it with a layer of some space-age material. They were'nt impressed when I told them that Parker instruments have been made that way for years! Heh, heh....

6. Like a big dog

Like a big dog

Jun 18, 2001
    Texas, USA
    Yeah, that's why I'm trying to find out as much as possible. I don't want to rediscover something that has been common knowledge for a while. Or at the very least, I don't want to claim a new idea as mine, and then have it debunked like that. I really just want to see where the world of basses has been, and where it's going. I'm doing extensive reading right now about the history and science of basses, but current research is a little harder to find. I think one of the cooler things I've seen in a while is an acoustic graphite bass that I played at a guitar show. If anyone knows who makes it, that would be helpful.

Since this is for a fake research project, and isn't really worth that much of a grade, I probably shouldn't be putting this much effort out. But this stuff is just too interesting to half-ass it. I guess this is what it's like to enjoy learning. :D

7. thrash_jazz

thrash_jazz

Jan 11, 2002
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
    Artist: JAF Basses, Circle K Strings
    I asked this question over in Luthier's Corner a few months ago. The answer seems to be that innovations come at the individual level, that is to say, few companies start out making instruments and vowing to do something new.

You might want to check out the BassLabs website, they are one of the more innovative companies around IMO.

8. Like a big dog

Like a big dog

Jun 18, 2001
    Texas, USA
    Sorry, but my search for that website came up with bass fishing stuff. What is it exactly?

9. Blackbird

Mar 18, 2000
    California
  10. Like a big dog

Like a big dog

Jun 18, 2001
    Texas, USA
    Thanks

11. pkr2

pkr2

Apr 28, 2000
    coastal N.C.
    LABD, I think that you will find more room for innovation possibilities in the electronics of the bass than in the physical form.

The tone control circuit used in passive basses is extremely crude and no one seems to be trying to make improvements.

The impedence of the output goes through a major change with tone adjustment and could possibly be improved with L pad or T pad usage.

The cliche that form follows function very much applies to bass. Bassists wont accept an instrument that doesn't look like a bass or play like a bass. They seem to readily accept anything that improves the sound though, regardless of how unconventional it may be. I.E. active electronics,humbuckers etc.

Interesting subject. Maybe you'll share the results of your efforts.?

Pkr2