Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Bass advancement and research

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by Like a big dog, Oct 2, 2002.

1. Like a big dog

Like a big dog

Jun 18, 2001
    Texas, USA
    Hello

I am trying to find out some information on what is currently being done to advance the science of bass guitars. Company websites aren't good for that, since I guess they think they are keeping secrets, but I am interested in what work is being done. I am a mechanical engineering student, and I am trying to find something to write a mock research proposal on. If you have any suggestions on the advancement of musical technology, they will be greatly appreciated. Or if you have a random topic to suggest, I'll chase after those too. I am truely just looking for a place to start. This is a subject that interests me, and I really want to learn more. I have only been playing bass for a year now, but don't be afraid to use technical terms. I'll look them up.

Thanks
    Chris

2. pilotjones

pilotjones Supporting Member

Nov 8, 2001
    US-NY-NYC
  3. Check out basslabs, they've got some inovative stuff going on.

Other than that, the previously stated lightwave, there are piezo pickups, graphite necks, synthetic bodies (graphite, luthite, etc.), Wishnevsky, extended range basses, Buzz Feiten tuning system, fanned frets, scale lengths, alternate tuning,

But as far as the science of the bass guitar, there really isn't a whole lot that can be done to the bass guitar before it becomes something other than a bass guitar. I saw someone merge a bass guitar with a didgeridoo, and while it was interesting, it wasn't a bass, even though it had pickups, a fretboard, and 4 strings tuned EADG. Anyway, just my opinion.

4. pilotjones

Nov 8, 2001
    US-NY-NYC
    Please don't include Wi... under "bass advancement and research." Please! ;)

5. pilotjones

Nov 8, 2001
    US-NY-NYC
    You could look at Bunker guitar necks. He uses an original construction method, and makes claims that are not only unsubstantiated, but which I believe some research would prove false.

6. Hehe, I couldn't resist. :D :p