Bass Advice Please!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Sylissa, Jan 11, 2018.

1. Sylissa

Sylissa

Dec 6, 2017
    Hello All!

I've been playing bass for a few years. I had a custom short scale 5-string built a couple of years back. As I my skills have improved, I realized that the intonation of the B string is really crappy. So I got out my sweetie's 1981 G&L (L-2000) double pick ups and active electronics. It sounds JUST GREAT and I'm getting around on it just fine. But it weighs almost 11# and it's a 4 string.

I hear G&L is making an empress body that's really light, but can't find one online anywhere with cominbation color/5-string that I want.

So *IF* I were to place a special order, which pick-up combo is closest my old G&L? [Is it the L-2500 or the M-2500 and how is the sound different?] I live in a rural area, and even guitar center 3 hours away doesn't stock basses over $800!

In your opinion, passive or active electronics? I'm not a fast or flashy player, I don't slap yet.

What's the sound difference (1 PU vs 2 PU) between the L-2500 and the L-1505 and the Kiloton 5?

How is the B string, sound and intonation especially when I'm playing in closed positions at and above the 5th fret? Is is flabby or does it hold up?

Candid opinions of big-brainy-bass players are greatly appreciated! :)

Last edited: Jan 11, 2018
  2. Reedt2000

Reedt2000 Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2017
    Central New Jersey
    I can't answer all your questions but I picked up a tribute L2500 and I have no problems with the B string being intonated or floppy. I like the electronics set up too. I like each PU solo but I prefer both together. It strikes me as a cross between a jazz bass and a Stingray tone-wise.

Sylissa likes this.
  3. jd56hawk

jd56hawk

Sep 12, 2011
    The Garden State
    You want a bass with a pickup combination like your L2500 but you don't want an L2500?

As for empress wood, I'm not sure, but I don't think G&L is using it right now…read something about that only a week or two ago.
    However, my L2000 weighs only 7.3 lbs and it's made out of swamp ash.

4. Sylissa

Sylissa

Dec 6, 2017
    How did you find one so light?

5. jd56hawk

jd56hawk

Sep 12, 2011
    The Garden State
    I just got lucky looking for an L2000 on reverb.
    20qdo2g.jpg

Raw N Low likes this.
  6. Sylissa

Sylissa

Dec 6, 2017
    NICE! Was weight a factor, or did you just get lucky?

7. jd56hawk

jd56hawk

Sep 12, 2011
    The Garden State
    I almost passed on it because of the weight!

8. jd56hawk

jd56hawk

Sep 12, 2011
    The Garden State
    Two Empress L2500s on reverb right now…one at 8.1 lbs and another at 7.9 lbs.

Last edited: Jan 12, 2018
    Reedt2000 likes this.
  9. twinjet

twinjet Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Sep 23, 2008
    An L-2500 will be closest to what your partner has. The M-2500 is G&L's take on the active J-Bass (without technically being one).

An L-2500 will give you individual pickup selection, along with series/parallel (more oomph). M-2500 offers blending plus 3-band EQ, with an active circuit. If you want what your '81 has, but in a five-string, the L-2500 is for you.

Depends on what you like to hear. With my '89 L-2000, I almost always play passive, but I'll let the preamp do the talking when I'm looking for treble boost and/or a bump in signal output.

Kiloton will cover Stingray territory, more or less. An L-2500 will offer you a little of everything from P to almost 'Ray to almost J. I cannot speak of the L-1505.

I only spent five minutes with a fretless L-2500 in a Seattle bass store and couldn't provide a meaningful review.

Tough to find them. G&L only offers them on certain years.

Technically speaking, this is not correct. The bass can be run entirely passive, without the preamp even being connected. As such, the 2-band EQ is cut only. Meaning when you have your bass and treble "maxed" out, you're running as close to flat as you can get. When you have them "zeroed" out, you actually are cutting frequencies by -15 dB.

Hope this helps. If you're curious what my L-2000 looks like, check my profile media.

Sylissa and Raw N Low like this.
  10. jd56hawk

jd56hawk

Sep 12, 2011
    The Garden State
    Dead battery or no battery, the L2000 still works.

Sylissa, ajkula66 and Reedt2000 like this.
  11. Sylissa

Sylissa

Dec 6, 2017

12. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 22, 2021