Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Bass Advice

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Vorago, Aug 17, 2004.

1. Vorago

Vorago (((o)))

Jul 17, 2003
    Antwerp, Belgium
    Hiya Fellas!

I need some advice here. I earned some money and now I am looking for a new bass. The styles I play vary between Jazz, Death Metal (extreme fast stuff) and more general Rock Music. So it has to be a versatile instrument. I'd like it to have some nice highs too, a sound that cuts it. Period. On the subject of strings, I am still doubting between a 4 or 5, I don't feel like I need the 5, though I'd like to use it to expand my tonal horizon. I like the Fender Jazz, but I'd like to have a not so common instrument if you know what I mean. I considered a thumb too but I am a bit afraid of lack of confort...and the problem is mainly distribution. In the US you guys have a large range of basses at you hand, here in Europe on the contrary you don't see Zons, Fodera's, Benavente etc...I thought about about Carvin but since their customer service seems to suck bigtime, I dropped that too, and their basses aren't in stock either. Maybe a Peavey Cirrus? Although more expensive then I can afford for the moment, if I save up some more and find another job...

Any thoughts?

2. HiFi

HiFi

Apr 20, 2002
    Anaheim, CA
    How much do you have to spend? That will help see what range of basses you can choose from.

On a sidenote, I'm selling a Benavente that has done me very well with jazz, rock and metal type music.

You can see it here:
    Benavente

A shameless pitch I know but it's a great bass and not very expensive for a Benavente. PM me if you have any interest.

3. Vorago

Vorago (((o)))

Jul 17, 2003
    Antwerp, Belgium
    Nice bass indeed, but I doubt if you would ship to Europe, and second, I'd like to play my instruments before buying them...

Hmm, my cash range is somewhere between 1000 and 1500 $, maybe even more if I'd work some more. But lets say for convenience that is the price range, a bit more maybe considering the difference between Euro and Dollar.

4. HiFi

HiFi

Apr 20, 2002
    Anaheim, CA
    I probably wouldn't mind shipping to Europe so much. (What type of problems might occur?) I'm probably looking for under $1000 for the bass, which is half the cost of a new Benavente currently and allows you to afford another fairly good bass with the leftover cash. I understand wanting to play before you buy though so that's cool. Let me know if you change your mind. A few TB members have vouched for the playability and tone of the bass.

EDIT: By the way, I like you sig. :D

5. vene-nemesis

vene-nemesis Banned

Jul 17, 2003
    Bilbao España
    If you like warwick you can save for a dolphin pro I its a little expensive but will fit great on any stile you are playing and its much more comfortable than the thumb but it weights more.

6. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    Ontario
    MusicMan Bongo or Stingray might be possible, but my first thought upon hearing hyour desire was "Modulus". Do a search for Modulus Quantum, you'll get plenty of info.

7. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Id check out a Euro Spector or a Warwick Corvette.

8. vene-nemesis

vene-nemesis Banned

Jul 17, 2003
    Bilbao España

You know nothing bout europe a bongo sells for 2000€(change the € to $ and say hi to capitalism) and up and thats way overpriced for a bongo (the same happens with all the other musicman models). And then you say Modulus for a guy who has saved some money i havent seen any modulus dealer yet but a quantum would be rounding the 4000€. Also he said the he liked the Jazz bass so hi likes cut throught mids and good growl and till now days i havent seen any modulus with growl (i havent seen a lot of them).

9. Vorago

Vorago (((o)))

Jul 17, 2003
    Antwerp, Belgium
    Aah, seriously considering the Benavente...less then 1000$ is no money. I'll give it some serious consideration...

10. Holy_Grail

Holy_Grail Guest

Aug 12, 2004
    why don't you built your own?

11. Vorago

Vorago (((o)))

Jul 17, 2003
    Antwerp, Belgium
    hehehe, because I don't own the craftmanship/handyness to do something like that..seriously I wouldn't like to waste fine materials. And why build one if there are plenty of quality basses out there, + I'd like to have a new bass within this time and a few months, and building would last a lot longer then that.

12. cetera

cetera

Apr 29, 2004
    Surrey, England
    Endorsing Artist: Spector Basses & Cort Basses
    +1 for the Euro Spector. A versatile bass with a great rock/metal pedigree... :bassist:

13. Vorago

Vorago (((o)))

Jul 17, 2003
    Antwerp, Belgium
    Maybe, no offence, but I don't really like the looks of Spectors in general, something about the body..

14. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

That Benavente would be a killer choice.

A Peavey Cirrus would work very well for the music you describe, too. Very versatile basses, and not near as common as a Fender.

15. Vorago

Vorago (((o)))

Jul 17, 2003
    Antwerp, Belgium
    Yes, I'm starting to like the Benavente more and more..does anyone, I repeat anyone here, experience with shipping to Continental Europe? I'm curious about prices, risks etc..

16. HiFi

HiFi

Apr 20, 2002
    Anaheim, CA
    I don't have personal experience shipping to Europe but hoefully someone who does will mention their experience. I can guarantee you that I would pack the bass up extremely well. I would HATE to see anything happen to this bass because of the quality.

Vorago, I also got your email and will respond shortly.