1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

bass advice

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Bassrodder, Aug 16, 2012.

1. Bassrodder

Bassrodder

Aug 16, 2012
    I'm looking to get a 6 string bass guitar since I play alot of Jazz Music. I played an ibanez and fell in love with the action. But I might be able to get a good deal on a 6 string yamaha bass guitar. Anyone know how close they are?

2. DiabolusInMusic

DiabolusInMusic Functionless Art is Merely Tolerated Vandalism Supporting Member

Apples and oranges, plus both product lines are so deep it could be any number of models with any number of features.

3. SJan3

SJan3

Dec 8, 2010
    Ct.
    Why do you need 6 strings to play jazz?
    Guys have been doing it with 4 forever..

4. @Bassrodder - You've already played an Ibanez and enjoyed it. Do you have a chance to test a Yamaha? If so, test both and go with whichever one feels and sounds the best to you. Ibanez and Yamaha are both excellent value for their prices. Especially since good used models can be found relatively inexpensive.

I've had my Ibanez SR885 (5 string) for 19 years and it still sounds great. I've not had the opportunity to try a Yamaha but I'm aware of their reputation for quality. Another thing you may want to consider. Ibanez have thinner necks which can be comfortable. Some Yamahas, such as TRB have a very wide neck. (That's why, if possible, try both instruments you're considering from your opening post.)

Btw, you can get used to people commonly questioning your need for a 6-string. Go with whatever makes you comfortable. Play an instrument to satisfy yourself, not others.

5. Bassist4Eris

Bassist4Eris Frat-Pack Sympathizer

I don't think he was saying he "needed" six so much as he "wanted" six.

6. Bassrodder

Bassrodder

Aug 16, 2012
    Thanks thats really helpful. I think im going to get the yamaha because my bass teacher is the one selling it and would like the money for a 5 string.

7. Bassrodder

Bassrodder

Aug 16, 2012
    Also I played it and liked that the strings werent really close together so i still had room to thump, whereas with the ibanez I played had strings really close together so that the neck wasnt so wide. I played an Ibanez sr506, and my bass teachers is a Yamaha trb1006

8. Bassrodder

Bassrodder

Aug 16, 2012
    I looked on ksl and found a btb (not sure which model as the woods are more exotic than the other btbs ive seen) with the bartoloni pickups. I havent played a 6 string btb, so do you guys know how they compare?

9. iriegnome

iriegnome Bassstar style Supporting Member

Nov 23, 2001
    Kenosha, WI 53140
    Nothing can beat a good set up. Most any bass can be tweaked to play like the wind. You just have to start out with something you like then get a great set up. Its all good from there

10. I'm gonna say +.5...

When checking out basses to buy for yourself, keep in mind that a quality instrument can be set up to "play like the wind", but also take into consideration the things that you cannot change, or that would be rediculously exspensive to change, i.e.; the string spacing (possible to change on some basses or bridges, not happening on others), the neck sculpture, the balance, how the body fits you, etc.

11. Bassrodder

Bassrodder

Aug 16, 2012
    I see. Well the btb 1006e (i found a match haha) retails for more, but does that mean it has nicer electronics and stuff? As far as feel goes i like ibanezes and i i liked the yamaha too

12. Well, Yamahas are a great bang for the buck, but IMO, Ibanez instruments feel a lot more "high dollar" than they are. I love both brands, and I cannot help you make the decision. :)