1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

bass affordability

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by mokeanL, Sep 27, 2009.

1. mokeanL

mokeanL

Jul 5, 2009
    Charlotte, NC
    ok so as i browse these forums day after day i see these brands of basses that seem intresting. i check thier websites off the google machine and find the pricelist right away. some of the basses ive encountered are outrageously priced but are some nice work of art. my question is to all of u with the 5k basses how the funk do yall get these? i mean even if i had those moneys i couldnt drop it on a damn bass. modulus is the bass i long for but thier way out of my pricerange any tips and tricks on not paying an arm and a leg

2. buy used

3. Simo98

Simo98

Jun 18, 2009
    QLD, Australia
    You are in the US i assume?

Be thankful, they are cheap there :p

to be honest i agree with you, i long for a Rick and MIA Jazz V, oh and a Fender bass VI but ill probably never have them.

4. LaklandBass

LaklandBass

Jan 26, 2005
    IL
    yup, high end instruments like that are like SUV's. go used and save a ton. You can alway spot a modulus quantum 6 on ebay for about $1800-$2200 which is waaaaaaay under msrp. The nice thing is that aside from these initial price drops most good basses maintain a great resale value. Also keep in mind that most people that buy a high end bass will keep it for life. The price really isnt much when you look at it that way.... I always think about classical and orchestra instruments whenever I get bad G.A.S. and I immediately feel better.

5. Save save save

Some of us have high paying jobs
    Some have financial savvy as far as saving and/or making stock trades

It just like some of us will drive a Ferrari and some of us will just take pictures
    from the velvet rope at a car show

If you are patient enough you can get that Modulus. Just persevere. Don't go out to eat.
    Dont go out to the movies. etc,.

In the meantime try some basses out
    Who knows that bass you have been looking for the whole time could cost thousands less

+1 on used
    +1 on modding cheaper basses to make them sound epic as well

6. LaklandBass

LaklandBass

Jan 26, 2005
    IL
    +100 YELLO... I was saving up to buy another Lakland since I sold mine a couple years ago. Wound up paying $155 for a Yamaha RBX-170, then put on a Gotoh201 bridge, Graphtech Nut, and wired some Dimarzio DP126's with CTS pots. This thing rocks now. Still not a Lakland but I'm loving this bass. The super cheapo agathis body give it a strange tone that I'll always have a use for.
    "Better isnt always better, different isnt always bad and not as good isnt always worse"
    I grabbed this modded Yamaha over a Warwick while laying down a track the other night. The tone was just right.

7. mokeanL

mokeanL

Jul 5, 2009
    Charlotte, NC
    i was thinkin about that too, the looks dont get me as much as the tone. id rather take all the elctronics from a 5 grand bass and put them in my gsr 200. i wanted to upgrade it but i didnt think it was worth the costs but if i were to buy new electronics and pups and preamps and all those trinkets theres just too many out there to try them all. so if i was to put my money into upgrading what electronics give the modulus its sound

8. Generally speaking, the electronics in high end basses are not something you can't add to your own bass for a few hundred bucks. A set of Sadowsky pickups AND preamp is under $350 total new. Honestly, tone is one of the most subjective things, and buying a high-end bass to try and achieve good tone is not often a smart move. There are plenty of cheap basses that might have the sound your want, and no expensive bass will make up for crappy skills.

With high-end basses you are paying thousands of dollars for hand selected woods, rare woods, one-on-one service with the builder, custom paint/finish/bindings, or other purely cosmetic options, durable/lightweight/reliable parts, custom requests, absolutely perfect fret job, everything being guaranteed as perfect, things along those lines .. basically getting exactly what you want and it being perfect.

On top of that, certain features matter to only certain people. A 50 year old with a bad back doing 4 hour gigs may need to pay extra to get a great-sounding 6 pound bass, when a 20 year old playing in his garage with his friends would be just as happy with a 12 lb bass.

While I consider an MIA Fender to be better than a Classic Vibe Squier, I don't consider it to be 5 times better, yet it costs 5 times more. In the same way, I don't consider a high-end luthier built instrument to be 5 times better than an MIA Fender, despite possibly costing 5 times more. It costs many times more to get something only marginally better. If that cost difference is acceptable really depends on your personal situation.

9. Alot of people also make money off those 5000 dollar basses ;)

10. bertbassplayer

bertbassplayer Supporting Member

Jul 7, 2000
    Dallas/Ft. Worth, TX
    How do people have high end basses? Well it's answered the same as how people get expensive cars or big TVs or anything of that sort, it's a matter of saving up for it and buying it... and for those that aren't lucky enough to have a super high paying job it's a matter of sacrificing to save to buy something like that.

As for spending that much money on a bass it's a personal decision. As trance said, the electronics are a small part of the cost. Some of it is simple economies of scale, these large companies make so many basses that their costs are minimized vs the guy who makes maybe one bass every two weeks. When you buy an expensive bass there's a number of factors that go into the cost... some of it is service, some of it is name, some of it is quality. To each his own.

11. exactly
    Im in the restaurant business and while it may only cost X amount of dollars to produce an item, the client is paying for ALL
    the 100s of things it takes to run an operation: Ingredients (Exotic wood), Staff (Artisans/Luthier's time and craftsmanship),
    Bills ( Bills) , Rent (rent), Marketing (same) etc,.

Now I only run a small one restaurant operation
    if I was some mega franchise corporation I would have a bigger
    well of capital to dip into meaning I can curb costs here and there with savings to the client HOWEVER you may risk losing the level of execution at that level of business.

You can have one chef handcraft your meal just for you: That dish is more than likely going to knock your socks off .................at a price

You can have one or few craftsman make a bass for you: That will also blow you away again for a price

Or you can be like the average joe and get something to go and add some salt and pepper to YOUR tastes and get by
    millions of people do everyday
    its all up to you in the end:smug:

12. mokeanL

mokeanL

Jul 5, 2009
    Charlotte, NC
    thank for the imput u answered the question without me asking i just didnt understand what made those basses that much more special cuz ive never delt with a builder personally. appreciate the input

13. mokeanL

mokeanL

Jul 5, 2009
    Charlotte, NC
  14. cool band!!

Its tough to tell
    looks like hes rockin a Schecter 5 string in some pics
    and a red Peavey Cirrus 6 string in some other pics

If you are trying to pickup in the Dream Theater / Myung vibe
    theres always 6 string Yamahas
    and 6 string EBMM Bongos
    I would try the Ibanez SR 6 strings as well

15. Relayer71

Relayer71

Jun 25, 2009
    NYC
    +1 to what everyone else has mentioned!

Also, I"m sure some don't actually pay cash for those $5000 instruments, credit cards can be pretty handy (depending on how you look at it though, debt is still debt).

But there are also some retailers that have payment plans (American Music Supply, ZZsounds, etc.) which charge your card in 3, 4 or 5 monthly payments. They probably don't have the high end customs but you can get the mass manufacturer (Fender, Gibson, Ibanez) high end models up to $2000.

Best thing though is to save. You'd be surprised at how much money you can spend on a monthly basis on stuff that really isn't too important. Save that money instead!

16. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    If your credit is good, and you don't already have other outstanding payments, financing a bass is a reasonable way to get one. Only you can say if financing makes sense for you to do. Saving is great, it just takes time.

One thing you could do would be to look out for a Peavey GV bass. These aren't real common, but they are usually under $600 used. Peaveys are very high quality, and their necks were actually made by Modulus. You could get the Peavey to see if you like the feel of graphite while you are still saving for Modulus.;)

17. unclejane

unclejane Guest

Jul 23, 2008
    Well a lot of those guys didn't really even need to pay 5 large for their instruments. Mostly they don't play or sound any better on it than they would on a $500 bass, so you have to wonder why they spent all that scratch to begin with. So I wouldn't fall for that mystique.

You can find perfectly good basses that'll fit you and be quite sufficient quality new starting at $500 or so (i.e. the Ibanez's and others). You can get a positively awsome bass from something like Carvin for between 1000 and 1500, again talking new.

If you go used, you can get really good stuff for pretty cheap. Again Carvin is great for used basses because their resale is terrible. You can get a super-good Carvin used for just dirt cheap.

Another way to get the cost down is go fretless. Our gear's resale is even worse because of the low demand and you can pick up good used fretlesses for even more dirt cheap.

Resist the Dark Side of the Force - good gear doesn't have to cost 5 large....

LS

18. cnltb

cnltb

May 28, 2005
    save up.

19. Marry well & kiss ***. ;)
    Also, get a cheap-but-decent ax to start with, then(this is the tricky part)sell for a small profit. Do this 3 or 4 dozen times & you're halfway there. At this point, you will hopefully have paying gigs.
    Another big bonus for me comes when I promise to sell bass A as soon as I get bass B; of course, once bass A & B are in the house, the promise is utterly forgotten. NEVER park bass A & B near each other, & be sure to check your marital statute of limitations on how long you have to keep off the subject of *promises*
    Now- when you have 8 or 10 *alright*($500-$1,000)basses & see *The One*you can dump all or most for the Holy Grail/Pearl of Great Price.
    Good luck.
    :)

20. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    I agree that you simply do not need to spend 5K or even 2K to get a great, not good, bass. I think that when you first start reading the TB forums, those who own high end basses really catch your attention. The longer you read, the more you realize that many here who play much less expensive basses. Ultimately, neither approach is better. There are guys with both cheap and expensive basses who have great gigs, and who are great players. The opposite is true too.:D

BTW, even if you decide to go the less expensive route, saving money is always a great idea.;)