1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Bass amp 100w

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Supertonic, Dec 30, 2011.

1. Supertonic

Supertonic

Dec 30, 2011
    Hello. I'm new to talkbass. I don't know much about amplifiers, but I need one for my bass. I should be at least 100 watts or more. Preferably around $300 or less. I could go as high as $400. It also needs to sound good with a 5 string.
    Any help would be appreciated.

2. Ewo

Ewo a/k/a Steve Cooper Supporting Member

Apr 2, 2008
    Huntington WV
    I'm guessing you're new to the instrument, and this would be your first amp...

Why dontcha spend some time on Musician's Friend, getting familiar with what's available, then search the bass guitar forum here for threads about rigs that interest you and fit your budget?

3. Foamy

Foamy

Jun 26, 2006
    Sac Area
    100w is pretty lightweight, and you can get a lot more power than that in your price range.
    Are you looking for an amp you can use in your bedroom for noodling? For rehearsals? For gigs?

4. Research is a good start, but nothing beats going to a bunch of stores and trying amps out. Some you will like, some you wont.

5. Supertonic

Supertonic

Dec 30, 2011
    This is not my first amp. I've been playing since around 2007. My amp was just a cheap thing I picked up at a music store for 50 bucks. I'm looking for an amp that I can use for practicing, but mainly for rehearsals/gigs.
    My current amp is hardly ever used now, because for practices/gigs, my band's drummer brings an amp. I only said 100w because I thought that would fit my needs, but like I said, I don't really know that much about amps.

The main thing is that it's loud enough for rehearsals.

6. Stumbo

Stumbo Wherever you go, there you are. Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 11, 2008
    the Cali Intergalctic Mind Space
    Song Surgeon slow downer software- full 4 hour demo
    What bass are you using?

What type of music?

How many in your band and what's the instrumentation?

What equipment does your band use? (guitars, amps, etc)

What size venues do think you'll be playing? (number of people,etc)

Doe your band own a PA? What's in it?

What's your location? (for Craig's List purposes)

Have you checked out any used rigs in your area?

It would be helpful if you filled out your profile. :)

7. Supertonic

Supertonic

Dec 30, 2011
    I use a Godin 5 string bass.
    Music style that we play is Rock.
    There's 5 of us in the band; two guitars, a singer, drums, and bass(me).
    We play very small venues (30 people). We have a gig coming up with probably 60+ people.
    We own a PA, not really sure about any details with it.
    I'm in Ontario, Canada.
    Haven't checked out any rigs in my area.
    Sorry about not filling out my profile. I posted this less than a minute after creating the account.

8. Where abouts? Ontario is a big a$$ province! :)

9. Amen to that! I sent him a PM, as I have a Peavey TNT I'm looking to unload, and it seems like it would suit his needs.

10. Supertonic

Supertonic

Dec 30, 2011
    London

11. will33

will33

May 22, 2006
    austin,tx
    A TNT would fit the bill nicely.

12. big +1, just throw some casters on it. Get 'em used dirt cheap (under US$200) all day. Use the rest of your budget's money on strings or save up for something larger down the road, but you'll always be able to use the TNT for reh's and smaller gigs.