1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Bass amp advice

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by plowboy, Apr 24, 2006.

1. plowboy

plowboy

Apr 24, 2006
    Hello, this is my first post here. My son and I are playing acoustic music using Dobro and acoustic guitar. We are getting excellent sound. He is playing a Tut Taylor dobro and I'm playing a Martin D-18GE and D-18VS. However, we are wanting to add bass but our bass rig is junk. It is an Ibanez GTR 70 with a newish Fender Bassman 25. You would not believe how muddy the sound is. It seems to seep into every crack and coud every other note into oblivion. If you turn it down to hear the other stuff, the bass just dissapears, and if you crank it up to hear the bass, it completely muddles the entire show. If you crank up the treble to get clarity, it's too bright, and if you turn down the bass tone, it loses punch. What to do?

Now this is where it really gets weird. I've played for years and have always had a bass instrument laying around. For some reason, I have always preferred the sound of a bass over a small open-back tube guitar amp than over a big solid state rig. One of the best bass sounds that I have heard at low volumes is through a tiny Fender Champ II which is an open-back 18 watt tube rig. This even sounded better than my sixty watt Mesa Boogie guitar amp. The sound I am wanting is fat, soft, thumpy, but very focused and defined so it doesn't muddle things up. This would allow me to crank the bass volume to carry the rythm in a trio, but yet without crowding out the other two acoustic instruments. What exactly am I needing here in terms of an amp, and am I even describing the sound that I want so that it makes any sense to you foliks? I want a low fat focused tone but I hate boomy. I have a nice Fender 50 watt 1968 AB165 Bassman. Would this old tube amp and the Augilar GS 112 be the right combo. I'm not needing loud, but I want TONE. The loud part can come from patching into the PA. Should I get another Champ II for that sweet clear punchy tube tone. Does any of this make any sense?