1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Bass Amp Advice

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by BionicDistort23, Aug 24, 2012.

1. BionicDistort23

BionicDistort23

Aug 22, 2012
    I am going to be performing my first live show with my band at a venue that has a main area of roughly 3000 square foot and am looking for some recommendations on a combo bass amp that would be adequate and reasonably priced. I was looking at the Peavey TNT115 but a friend also mentioned the Hartke VX3500 (more expensive).

Any thoughts?

Thanks.

2. Biggbass

Biggbass

Dec 14, 2011
    Planet Earth
    The size of your rig really depends on whether there will be adequate sound support more than the size of the room. If you've got a good sound system for that room you could go without an amp and just DI or use a powered DI with tone controls. Do you have any more more info on the staging?

3. BionicDistort23

BionicDistort23

Aug 22, 2012
    I believe we are using the venue's sound system for background track, keys and the vocals but it seems like when the band played there before (not with me) their bassist and guitarist had their own amps. My friend (lead singer) said he couldn't remember if they either used a bass head and cabinet setup or the Hartke VX3500 combo.

Sorry not sure if that helped answer your question at all.

I am going on the assumption that if I get a decent combo amp then I am covered.

4. will33

will33

May 22, 2006
    austin,tx
    That's not an overly large place. TNT might do it depending on the music, overall volume level. PA for vocals/keys, etc. doesn't mean it'll handle bass well, may still help out putting a little bass in there. Something a little bit bigger like a 212, maybe 410 would handle the place on it's own.

5. BionicDistort23

BionicDistort23

Aug 22, 2012
    Can you clarify on the 212/410 you are referring to? Brand? Combo or separate BH and Cabinet?

6. jarrydee

jarrydee

Oct 22, 2011
    Michigan
    something with 2-12in spealers or 4-10in speakers!

7. steve_rolfeca

steve_rolfeca Supporting Member

Need more info b4 we can give you useful advice.

Are people going to be there to eat, talk and listen, or to get tanked and dance the night away?

Speed metal, with two screaming guitars through cranked 100w stacks, gentle alternative folk, or something in between?

Trio? 5-piece? Any horns? How aggressive is the drummer?

8. BionicDistort23

BionicDistort23

Aug 22, 2012
    Sorry I thought the reference was to a specific model and there seem to be a pretty good range of both combos and cabinets in of all brands in both the 212 and 410s.

I am trying to figure out the most economical equipment to use for this show and future shows (venues of this size). Naturally getting something larger than is necessary for this particular venue will help me future proof my purchase but I am on a pretty tight budget.

Sorry for the lack of knowledge on the terminology. I have always been more of a hobbyist so the live performance end of things is fairly new to me at this point.

Thanks.

9. BionicDistort23

BionicDistort23

Aug 22, 2012
    It is an industrial rock band. Heavy drum beats and effects on background and live synths. My friend has tried incorporating guitars and bass players in the past as well as a live drummer at one point but mainly he just normally performs with two other keyboard members. More of a night club scene so not a big auditorium. I certainly hope people are getting tanked and dancing! :bassist:

10. will33

will33

May 22, 2006
    austin,tx
    Was more of a general statement. Typically those cabs will get you up around the 100db per watt output level. Sort of a stepup from a typical 15. Likely a separate head and cab as it would be a large, heavey combo.

In very general terms, that's about the size of rig that lets you gig most anywhere you may find yourself. When you get to volume levels beyond what they can handle, the PA should be able to handle full bass....in a perfect world....which as far as I can tell, none of us live in.:smug:

11. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    Well then, you need a good sized bass rig then, not a combo amp. Shopping used will stretch the budget, but essentially, you want a bass head in the 300-500 watt range, and a spkr cab with a minimum of either 4 10's, or 2 12's. This will ensure you can carry the room without PA support.

12. BionicDistort23

BionicDistort23

Aug 22, 2012
    Thanks to everyone for their good info. Does anyone have any recommendations on particular brands. I have a small Peavey amp and a small Esteban currently which are ok for on the go practice but nothing more.

13. steve_rolfeca

steve_rolfeca Supporting Member

Some good used deals on CL and TB in G-K RB-series heads, first-gen Genz Shuttles, older pre-Fender SWR, late model Peaveys, Markbass.

I wouldn't personally buy Ampeg, Ashdown, Trace, or TC Electronic for a variety of reasons (mostly tone and reliability/repairability), but many would disagree.

The nice thing about CL, is that real market value doesn't apply, just local supply and demand.

If you're patient, and you pounce quickly when they come up, you can get boutique cabs from people like Betgantino, Accugroove, Epiphani, etc., for Peavey money.

That's much better than the conventional budget route of buying a new Avatar cab, and losing your shirt on depreciation the minute it arrives in the big brown truck.