Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Bass amp ala Flea

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Rufes, Sep 27, 2005.

1. Rufes

Rufes

Sep 27, 2005
    I am a newby here. In fact I am a guitar player but the bassist in my band is loooking for a good amp and I want to do some research for him. He does not speak english so I'll do it.

He loves the sound of Flea. I've seen Flea uses a Gallien Krueger 2001RG but it is very expensive and my pal preferes a combo.

What would you suggest?

His budget is about $600-800

Thanks a bunch!

2. BassJunkie730

BassJunkie730

Feb 3, 2005
    Brooklyn
    I personally have never tried to get Flea sound down, BUT From the shows, tech interviews, and posts here - I'd summ it up as a sound with an aggressive midrange and can be boosted in the highs and lows for slap. Flea's biggest influence is larry graham from Sly and the Family Stone So I would also look at his rig for inspiration.
    A simple solution would be a 115 combo with a 210 extension cab or vice versa (only the 115 combo will weigh less than the 210 combo) and a Bass EQ pedal that way you can set the amp up for a low mid aggressive growl and then boost the lows and highs (without changing your "cut through" mids) with the eq pedal.

I would also say that Flea has a distinct tone of his own that beckons old school funk. If your bassist eq's correctly and plays with a somewhat similar bravado - he could probably get cop the "flea sound" from any rig. Conversely, If he has trouble actually getting flea's slap technique, he will likely get frustrated with even flea's own rig.

Since you guys are in a band and he seems new to the game. Whatever you buy, see if you can try it out at a gig or in rehearsal first (or see if there is some return policy). This board is full of gear junkies (as I am myself) but the gear game gets VERY expensive (my rig is cropping up to be $4000 - and that will consist of A head, A bass, Two cabinets, and A pedal). Be smart and always go for the more quality rig near your price range - it'll save you big $$ in the long run. Other than that- read on - there is a load of info here. Searching Flea's rig is only the tip of the iceberg.

Best,

Michael