1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Bass Amp and Wedge

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Ibanez Bassist, Jan 18, 2012.

1. Ibanez Bassist

Ibanez Bassist

Jan 30, 2010
    US of A
    This is from a previous topic in this forum Re: the Peavey Tour TKO and a 400 watt passive wedge, I was told NOT to use a 1/4x1/4 standard instrument cable so I found a 25 ft. 14 Ga. cord thats 1/4" x Banana plug.. Is this what Im looking for to run this wedge with out damage to it during hi wattage out puts..
    Thanks

2. digitalmoney

digitalmoney

Nov 13, 2011
    Appleton WI
    I think all you need is speaker cable
    They are for speakers
    Instrument cables are for guitars and things like that

3. Ibanez Bassist

Ibanez Bassist

Jan 30, 2010
    US of A
    Right, I understand that but on the side of the wedge there are 2-1/4 ports and a spot for a banaba plug, so if the cable I run needs to be heavy 14 Ga or greater or actual speaker wire cable then why not run out a factory made 1/4 x Banana plug cable, thats what Im asking..

4. will33

will33

May 22, 2006
    austin,tx
    Yes, that is the correct cable and you can use it. May want to check that polarity is correct. If you hear a loss of bass between the two rigs, polarity is likely reversed. All that means is flip the banana plug over and plug it back in.

5. Ibanez Bassist

Ibanez Bassist

Jan 30, 2010
    US of A
    OK, Thats the info I was looking for, thanks again, LOL and if polarity happens to get reversed for a quick second theres no damage to anything is there.. I think the posts are marked if Im not mistaken..

6. will33

will33

May 22, 2006
    austin,tx
    No damage, just a cancellation in the bass although your 2 speakers may be far enoigh apart you won't notice. Sometimes you reverse polarity in PA subs purposely so they jive with the other speakers.

I mark my bananas red and black like a car battery. Tip on the 1/4" to red on the banana, sleeve to black.

7. Don't know why you would go with the 1/4 to banana instead of a standard 1/4 to 1/4 speaker cable.

IMO, banana ends are easier to accidentially pull out, and are not readily useable with other standard cabs.

8. Session1969

Session1969

Dec 2, 2010
    First off, bananas provide a better signal which is why high end power amps have them as opposed to "just 1/4 "(this was before speakons). If the bananas have a twist lock as most do, you should have no problem as far as them losing their connection. The fact that you already have the cord makes it a no brainer.

9. 1. 1/4-1/4" would make it slightly simpler(can't reverse)but of course you already have the banana
    2. Calling the jacks *ports* may cause confusion
    3. I believe it's actually *jibe* not *jive*: jibe - Wiktionary (see 'usage notes')
    :)

10. will33

will33

May 22, 2006
    austin,tx
    The dude has a good cable that works. He has a TKO combo on the backline with a wedge at the mic stand serving as an extension cab, not exactly a high power setup. No need to worry about signal transfer through various plug types, etc. although it is good info to have.

FWIW, I like bananas simply because you can flip polarity should you need to, even though oftentimes, I don't.

Now I have to lookup "jibe", I've always used "jive".:p

Previous thread all this is in reference to:

http://www.talkbass.com/forum/f15/peavey-tour-tko-passive-wedge-843840/

Damn, had to go back 10 pages to find that thing.....we stay busy around here.

11. will33

will33

May 22, 2006
    austin,tx
    From Wiktionary---

" "Jive" and "jibe" are frequently used interchangeably in the U.S. to indicate the concept "to agree or accord". However, while one recent dictionary accepts this usage, most sources consider this an error. See also jive turkey for related expression."

Apparently the jury is still out on that one turkey.:p

12. *most sources consider this an error*
    So is this a civil case(preponderance of evidence)or criminal(reasonable doubt)? ;)

13. will33

will33

May 22, 2006
    austin,tx
    I have no idea....just goofin' around.;)

14. Me too. :cool:

15. Ibanez Bassist

Ibanez Bassist

Jan 30, 2010
    US of A
    Thanks for all the info, and I have a 1/4 x Banana set up already so I might as well use it, Its a 25' 14Ga. cable and the Banana jacks are locking so I don't think there will be any pull out happening, but I should be all set now as always great info.. thanks guys..