Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Bass amp as a guitar amp

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by MasterChief, Dec 15, 2003.

1. MasterChief

MasterChief

Feb 4, 2003
    Virginia
    I have a bass guitar. I recently purchased a beautiful 60s guitar. (It's an Old Kraftsman, if you're interested) I bought an electric guitar to help me play bass better. Can I use the amp I have for my bass as an amp for my guitar?

Here is what amp I have for my bass:
    http://www.crateamps.com/html/product.cfm?pid=61

2. sloppysubs

sloppysubs

Nov 24, 2002
    Swansboro, NC
    i use a similar amp for in home practice with my basses. id say yes you could use it, but if you ever plan on going out and gigging id get a bass rig. but for in home small and quiet stuff id say keep using it.

3. bass amps are really good for guitar but guitar amps really suck for bass yes you can use that bass amp with the guitar and it will sound pretty deccent but if you want distortion youll hafta get a dist pedal

4. Fender Bassman amps have been considered some of the best guitar amps for awhile. They're pretty good bass amps, too.

5. bplayerofdoom

bplayerofdoom

Aug 6, 2002
    R.S.M.
    although it doesnt always sound great a guitar in a bass anp is safe. a bass in a guitar amp could blow out the speakers of a cheap guitar amp, and quite easily might it add :eek: .

6. Stinsok

Stinsok Supporting Member

Dec 16, 2002
    Central Alabama
    A friend of mine plays a strat through an old Bassman. It absolutely sounds wonderful for playing blues. There is no reverb, but it is no biggie.

7. peatea

peatea

Sep 26, 2003
    chicago
    I play both bass and guitar and at a gig a power tube went out in my Marshall stack and I had to use my SWR 350 and 4X10 cabinet for the guitar.
    I must admit that it did not sound good but it was loud.
    Nobody in the audience seemed to notice.

Pt

8. MasterChief

MasterChief

Feb 4, 2003
    Virginia
    Is it just going to sound like a loud acoustic?

If it's not going to sound like a normal guitar, I'll want to get an amp. But they are expensive.

9. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
    This has come up a few times in the past 6 months...there should be some good advice if you did a search.

I use a Behringer Vamp Pro amp modeler with my bass rig...it sounds great! I had a Vamp2 but wanted a rack mountable unit.

The secret for good overdrive is to have a distortion unit (or amp modeler) with speaker emulation. You get a good guitar amp sound through your bass amp (especially if you have a tweeter). The guitar speaker emulation tames the highs so it doesn't sound harsh at all (think recorded distorted guitars through your home stereo speakers that have tweeters).

Have fun!!!!