Bass Amp Book

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by IvanMike, Dec 31, 2004.

1. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    hey kids.
    I write pretty well. (i get lazy here - lol)
    I've been published in Bass Player, but that was some time ago.
    I've been toying around with the idea of writing a bass amp book sort of like "the idiot's guide to...". I'm no tech, but i wasn't thinking about writing a book on vintage tube amps or circuit diagrams. More like "The Bass Amp User's Guide". I've kicked the idea around some but have been recently more into the notion after hanging around the amps forum. You get to answer the same questions there a lot. I mean a whole lot. The majority are from novice players, but there's a healthy number of seasoned bassists who have no idea about impedance, eq, dB, and a whole other list of basic stuff.

Any thoughts?

And i have zero experience getting a manuscript published, i hear that you need an agent or you tend to get screwed.

P.S. - steal my idea and i break your legs - :D
  2. bluemonk

Dec 17, 2002
    I'm glad you're still thinking about this. You mentioned it on your "history" thread from the other day. I have learned a great deal from your posts over tha past few months and always look forward to reading something you have written. I think of you as a person who is generous with his knowledge. The next step would definately be to write a book and help people with amp questions while maybe getting a little something back for yourself. I'd definately buy a copy. Go for it! :hyper:
  3. yeah, with as much help as you and billyB have given me on my 1810, i'd love to get your book to explain it all to me!
    in fact, i was thinking about asking where you two know so much...i was thinking there was a book out that is a must read for amps...
    do it!
  4. Folmeister

Folmeister Knowledge is Good - Emile Faber Supporting Member

May 7, 2003
    Tomball, Texas
    My friend Matt was an editor for Guitar Player before he hit the road with a local, promising act. He still does freelance for companies like Mel Bay and Seymour Duncan. He is currently finishing a book on Yamaha guitars for them. I am under the impression that if you don't have a commission from a publisher, it could be a very expensive, out-of-pocket project. I would buy a copy, though!
  5. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    i've got quite a bit of that compiled myself. amp history would seem to be the most challenging topic. not a general history, but more involved like the post i did on thunderfunk, amp, swr, eden, & raven labs. I'd love to be able to present this sort of information in an entertaining and informative manner, while not stepping on any toes ,(being very neutral and noncommital about who invented what in any given dispute, (cough), bergantino vs epifani, (cough).