1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Bass Amp Brands

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by bammons30, Sep 26, 2013.

1. bammons30

bammons30

Sep 20, 2013
    I am just about completely clueless when it comes to bass amp brands. I have played a Warwick rig with the head and cab that brand, and it wasn't my favorite. I've also played a Fender Rumble 350 combo amp at my school and I actually really like it, but the other amp at school is an Ampeg rig with a SVT-450H head and what I believe to be a SVT-610HLF and it sounds absolutely amazing. So all in all, what brands would you consider to be top notch when it comes to amplifiers?

2. Dave W

Dave W

Mar 1, 2007
    White Plains
    Look around here for a few days and you'll get a good idea.

Lots of love for Ampeg, GK, Mesa, Genz Benz, and plenty more.

3. spector_boogie

spector_boogie No Limit Honky

Apr 15, 2012
    The Woodlands, TX
    The only thing I can suggest to someone new(er) to this, is just try anything you can. I started on Ampeg hybrids with Mesa cabs and I've pretty much had everything in between and settled on Mesa gear for the most part, but I like other stuff too.

My favorite amps are Mesa, Aguilar and Eden. My favorite cabs are Mesa & Bergantino. Any combination of all that stuff I'd be happy with. There's no right/wrong answer.

4. bammons30

bammons30

Sep 20, 2013
    Thanks for both your inputs. I'm pretty much just starting to really get into the mechanics and dynamics of bass. And unfortunately, I do not have a good and powerful amp of my own. But i will soon enough!
    I know that I do like the sound of a cab and head over a combo amp. Idk what it is, but the quality of sound always seems better.

5. spector_boogie

spector_boogie No Limit Honky

Apr 15, 2012
    The Woodlands, TX
    I would always recommend going the amp+cab route. Just much more options. And you can always turn down, but you can't always turn up.
    Look around, do some research and in store testing. Buy once, buy right!

6. I bought a new amp recently moving up from a Peavey. I was targeting ampeg and gk toward the end and went with gk. The gk seemed to represent the sound of the bass better while the ampeg seemed to color everything. I suppose that 'grit' is what is referred to as the ampeg sound

7. gregmon79

gregmon79 I did it for the muff... Supporting Member

Dec 20, 2012
    Chicago IL
    Bassgod gave some good advice. If you peruse the "amps" forum for a little bit you will definitely get a good idea what's out there and what's pretty decent. The ones I like/prefer:
    Gallien krueger
    Ampeg
    Orange
    Mesa (haven't really played mesa that much but I liked what I heard when I did)
    Hatke
    I'm not super experienced with a lot of amps but I do know what I like. And those are the majority of them.

8. bammons30

bammons30

Sep 20, 2013
    I have seen and heard Orange amps and I really do like those and would buy one...If they werent so expensive.

9. Rob L

Rob L Supporting Member

Oct 29, 2006
    Chilly ND
    For me it's ever changing. I do know I love the good old standard, Ampeg SVT, tons of headroom, tone but also weighs a tone. Recently scored a Mesa Titan that I think is awesome. I still have a Swr 750x, I have always liked SWR stuff also. I know there are a lot of other brands at people just love also.

10. JellinWellen

JellinWellen

Oct 18, 2012
    Texas
    Although you may like orange, I would stay away from buying new. For what you can get an ad200b you could get an ampeg Heritage. I tried the terror bass and wasn't that impressed. Although I see plenty of love for it on here sometimes. Just my thoughts.

11. tjh

tjh Supporting Member

Mar 22, 2006
    Minnesota
    ... with more info, we will be able to be of more help ... the profile will be your friend when it comes to inquiries, as the more info given, the better suited for your situation ...

BTW, some brands have stronger models within a certain price range than others, so your budget and how you are going to be using the gear is maybe more important than simply asking for a 'good' brand ... also, keep in mind, one mans sugar is another mans salt often times, so again, matching your need with the component goes a long way ... JMHO

12. Mystic Michael

Mystic Michael Hip No Ties

Apr 1, 2004
    New York, NY
    It's a fair question. But it's such a basic question that all the likely answers are unlikely to provide much real guidance & direction to you. :meh:

My advice: Lurk & search. Get out into the music stores, into the open mike nights, and wherever else you might have an opportunity to check out gear, then experiment, taking mental notes as you go.

While you're doing all this, try to get a handle on your particular musical needs, i.e. style of play, preferred sound/tonal characteristics, etc., as these factors should inform your gear choices - heavily.

The more you learn about your options - and especially the more you can share about your own particular preferences - the more informed and specific your questions will be. And the more informed and specific the answers are likely to be in return.

There's a hard limit as to how much guidance anyone can offer to you at this point, until you're first able to inform and to qualify the dialogue better, from your own experience.

MM

13. huckleberry1

huckleberry1

Jul 1, 2013
    Mesquite, Texas
    student
    I have a GK 15" combo & a 410 powered cab, seperate them for practice & pair for stage. Great portability & light

14. Sid Fang

Sid Fang Reformed Fusion Player Supporting Member

Jun 12, 2008
    There are some good amps out there, and a lot of mediocre ones that are certainly good enough to gig in a pinch. Among the mass-produced , easy to find,"American" (i.e. probably produced offshore) brands, I like Ampeg tube designs for traditional rock/blues sounds and GK (Gallien-Kreuger) solid state designs for a more "modern" jazz or metal sound.

While I still own a couple of vintage Ampegs, I pretty much only play through EBS amps these days, having gotten hooked on them while living in Europe, but they're something of an expensive eccentricity in the US. If you get a chance to play through one, check it out, but I wouldn't send a new player off in search of one.

15. Gotta be just a plain old marshall. Basic, easy too use gear that is built too last. Instead of lodging into these svt's, peavey, mesas, hiwatt etc...which are all very good don't get me wrong!

But IMO, they're the most versatile amp out there.

16. Picking an amp and cab is a personal preference thing. What works for me may not work for you. What I sound great through, may not sound good for your playing style. So you need to go out and try different gear.

Also there is no rule that you need to match the brand of amp to the brand of cab. I have amps from Ampeg, Peavey, Aguilar/Crest. None of my cabs are any of those brands.

17. nojj

nojj Guest

May 20, 2013
    Bass Amp Brands:

Well, there's Ampeg, and then there's some other stuff.:D

I would think with a wide-open playing field like that,
    might want to think about getting either a combo amp,
    head & cab rig, or a rack mount pre/power & cab rig.
    That (plus the brand) would be determined by your particular circumstance.

None of my combo amps went the distance.

18. Tell you what I could do 97% of all my gigs at this time with a Ampeg Portaflex 800 and a fEARless F115. Killer light weight rig.