Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Bass Amp & Cab. for sale or trade

Discussion in '[OLD FORUM] Bass Guitars, Amps, and Accessories: F' started by BlacksHole, Aug 23, 2002.

1. BlacksHole

BlacksHole

Mar 22, 2000
    Rockville, MD
    This item is a fairly rare Polyphone Pro bass amp. It includes a single, lightweight speaker cabinet housing a 15" and 2x8" speakers. The amp head is a 3 space rackmountable unit that contains 2 separate amps each with their own preamp. Each preamp has bass, mid, treble, and volume as well as a bright-normal-dark switch. The amp can run in mono, stereo, and biamp modes. The crossover is selectable at 200, 400, and 800 Hz. There is an effects loop as well as a main out and individual preamp outs and power amp ins. This rig is hifi sounding and easy to transport. It is only 240 watts, so it is not extremely loud. If you use a low B string, I strongly recommend using the biamp setting as the 8" speakers do not respond well to loud low notes. (I have 2 of them - I'm keeping the more scratched up one as I love this amp). It comes with a "user manual" which is really just a few sheets stapled together, but it has all the info. you need. I also added screws through the front grill panels as they can shake loose and rattle. In lieu of sale, I will consider a trade for a 6 string (fretted) with fairly narrow string spacing.

2. Jeff Moote

Jeff Moote Supporting Member

Oct 11, 2001
    Beamsville, ON, Canada
    a price?

3. BlacksHole

BlacksHole

Mar 22, 2000
    Rockville, MD
    I was originally only asking $350 for them, but since they didn't sell, I'll drop that to $300; buyer pays shipping.

4. steve-o

steve-o Guest

Apr 17, 2002
    pics? or where i can find some more info on this thing?
    so is it a combo?
    how much does it wieght?
    what is the size.
    i am very intrested

steve

5. BlacksHole

BlacksHole

Mar 22, 2000
    Rockville, MD
    It is not a combo. The cabinet is about 30" tall (with wheels), 20" wide, and 12" deep. THe head is a 3 rack space unit. I haven't weighed them, so I'll guesstimate the weights as: cabinet = 40 lbs, head = 30 lbs. I know I have no trouble carrying the amp head in a rack bag on one shoulder awnd carrying my bass same hand, and the cabinet in the other hand and I'm not a real strong guy. Granted, I'd be rather tired after climbing a flight of steps and would generally split up the load for stairs and I tend to roll the cabinet when possible.

6. BlacksHole

BlacksHole

Mar 22, 2000
    Rockville, MD
    Let me see if I can attach a couple of pix:

7. BlacksHole

BlacksHole

Mar 22, 2000
    Rockville, MD
    And a close-up of the amp front and back

8. Noobai

Noobai

Aug 25, 2002
    Stanford, CA
    Why so cheap?

9. steve-o

steve-o Guest

Apr 17, 2002
    man that looks like a good deal.
    i am intrested.
    so how would i hook up a 4x10 (8ohm) to this rig.
    and how many watts would it be?

steve

10. Noobai

Noobai

Aug 25, 2002
    Stanford, CA
    I am also quite interested. Im just wondering if there is a catch...

11. steve-o

steve-o Guest

Apr 17, 2002
    i am really intrested i just have to sell my trace elliot head.
    that is unless you are intrested in a trade.

steve

12. BlacksHole

BlacksHole

Mar 22, 2000
    Rockville, MD
    A couple of things:

1. I'm not asking for much because I listed it on ebay and no one was interested (I wanted more money than I'm listing it for here - this price is below what I had for an ebay reserve). I also have 2 of these rigs and I really only need one. I had bought a used Hartke 5000 and a couple of Avatar cabinets to use for outdoor/bigger gigs and even though the Hartke doesn't sound as good, it is definitely louder, especially with the bigger cabinets.

2. Because I just bought the Hartke, I really have no interest in a Trace Elliot.

3. This amp is designed to have two cabinets hooked up as it is really 2 completely separate amps and preamps housed in the one unit. Hence, hooking up a 4x10 is a pain. You'd still want to hook up another cabinet or you would be running this at only 120 watts maximum. It is also designed for 2 4 ohm cabinets. I did talk to a polytone tech a few years back and he stated that the whole rig is actually 1 ohm stable. I.e., each separate amp & preamp can safely run a 2 ohm load, but it can blow a fuse when doing this so he had me install a different fuse to get around this problem. (I ran both polytone cabs. from one head for some louder gigs - I've also run both complete amps and cabinets together, but it is easier to just run my Hartke rather than bring both complete polytone rigs.

hope this helps.

13. handlax14

handlax14

Aug 13, 2002
    Connecticut
    moparpunk what model is the trace elliot? and how much? i just bought a hartke ha3500 but im not sure if i want to keep it. get back to me if your intrested in selling the elliot.

orgasmdonor237@aol.com