Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Bass amp for guitar

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Grda, Oct 3, 2000.

1. Grda

Grda

Apr 5, 2000
    Allright,
    I know that guitar amps are not a good idea for bass
    guitars but what if I wanted to plug a guitar into a
    bass amp. How would it respond? I'm not really concerned about distortion that vacuum tubes would produce,
    only a clean sound. Just wondering wether it would be
    a bad idea considering the frequencies of the instruments
    are different. Thank you.

2. Max

Max Supporting Member

Feb 14, 2000
    Bakersfield, CA
    I wanted to know the answer to this too and am posting so that I get email notice.

3. There should be no problem doing this. The guitar will lose some of the high end, so the treble may need to be boosted and bass attenuated, but other than that, you should be fine. For a while, the guitar player in my band was running through the bass head at our practice space into a Marshall 4x12, and it sounded OK (he uses a Rat pedal for overdrive anyway). Just make sure you tweak the EQ. And be careful if you're running the amp into a guitar cabinet; they usually have much lower power ratings than bass cabinets do.

4. A guitar sounds surprisingly good through a bass amp. The original Fender Bassman amps have become favorites among guitar players. A bass amp adds a lot of depth - the only drawback for a guitarist is that bass amps don't come pre-loaded with reverb, crunch, etc.

John

5. it works great.. my guitarist wants to use a bass amp for some clean peices because none of his amps can touch the cleaness of my HA3500 bass head.. hehe

-Willz

6. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    I have an old Ibanez strat copy I play through my SWR WM-12. Sounds beetchen.

7. Deynn

Deynn Moderator Emeritus

Aug 9, 2000
    Iowa
    No problem....those lower notes should sound especially good. :)

8. In the mid 90’s I played guitar on three albums using my Mesa 400+ with a Marshall speaker emulator and a Boss SE50 effects processor, then straight into the desk. Both the engineer and the band were very happy with the sound.

In the original rehearsals for this I used the same, minus of course the emulator, and though a 4*12 Bassman cab which sounded so good, (the sound, not the playing) that the band suggested that I used this set-up for recording.

I am really a bass player and can only just get by as a guitarist, but IMO providing you use some guitar effects it doesn’t matter if you use a bass amp.

9. Al Steen

Al Steen

Feb 1, 2000
    Funny you should mention :D I was messing around the other day and plugged my Guild Starfire 5 into the Cyclops.
    This could be the best Jazz guitar amp I've ever used!
    The combo of 2x8,15 and attenuable horn gives you the biggest loudest cleanest tone you can imagine, and when I shifted the preamp into overdrive it gives a pretty good approximation of that creamy tube amp distortion. Pretty radical if you ask me .. Al

Oh yeah, Did I mention that it was also LOUDER THAT SH#T! :D