1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Bass amp for powering subs?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by krstko, Jun 28, 2012.

1. krstko

krstko

Aug 29, 2011
    Cerknica, Slovenia
    Hi
    My friend is throwing a party. I am responsible for music. I have two passive subs (18", 300w, 8ohm) and I was thinking, could I power them with my Hartke HA5500. I would connect it to mono out on mixer and would use the amps eq to cut high/mid. Would that work or would it damage the head/speakers?

2. username1

username1

Dec 28, 2005
    alberta canada
    It shouldnt hurt anything. I would give it a try, it might work really well. A proper crossover would be alot better sound wise but it might still work ok if its just for recorded music.

3. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

I would say you'd still need a crossover because bass amps still send out a full range signal.

4. krstko

krstko

Aug 29, 2011
    Cerknica, Slovenia
    Since I don't have money for crosscover, I hoped that turning down everything above lets say 125hz on graphic eq would work.

5. 4-stringB

4-stringB

Jun 10, 2010
    Tallahassee
    Your setup will work fine. I do it all the time. I even "biamp" with two combos, the larger one I crank the lows, and the smaller one I crank the highs. I get real tired of these self appointed "purists" that insist that there is only one way to do something correctly....their way.....

6. froghat

froghat Supporting Member

Jun 14, 2009
    Rhinebeck, NY
    I've done this too. It works, but not optimally. The graphic eq can only cut 12dB or so from the higher frequencies, and you can still hear the sub trying to honk out the mids, dissipating energy where it shouldn't need to. It keeps you from really cranking the subs to get that floor-shaking thunder.

I found a used Behringer graphic EQ (stereo, 15 band) for $35 that has a subwoofer out with adjustable crossover frequency. Works well for me.

7. krstko

krstko

Aug 29, 2011
    Cerknica, Slovenia
    That kind of eq would work, too bad I hate Behringer .. my ex-band had behringer PA and it died after few weeks (well, maybe just this unit was foulty...)

8. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Well regardless, it should work fine provided you remember the limits of your subs and don't just crank them into oblivion because they're "rated" to take it.

9. walterw

walterw Supportive Fender Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 20, 2009
    alpha-music.com
    yeah, it's a shoestring rig-up, but it'll make thumps for the party.

plug into the "active" in on the amp, comp off, EQ faders dumped on everything above say 100 or 125, "high pass" contour knob dumped too.

kill the "tube" pre knob, and slowly bring up the master, listening to the speakers. as long as they're not flapping or farting you should be OK, and you probably won't need all that much.