1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Bass amp for studio

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Gabazz, Mar 17, 2018.

1. Gabazz

Gabazz

Mar 17, 2018
    I am a guitarist and I am building a home studio. I used to use my brothers gear but now I moving out.

I just got a bass guitar and I would like to add an amp. I would like the amp to have a great tone primarily to be used for recording. I've used DI and a few budget amps. I enjoy amp tones blended with DI.

I would like the amp to have enough volume to be able to use my home studio for a band practice if needed so preferably something that can keep up with a drummer. (even though I could work around with this with the 2 rooms and using mics, but a louder amp would make my life easier).

I think I prefer the tone of 10" speakers, but would not exclude 12". 15" I'm not sure. Which replacement speakers would you recommend for future use.

Budget for setup (Head & cab or Combo) is under 500 Euro preferably, but willing to extend to the absolute limit of 800 if there is really a great amp beyond my budget that will have a huge impact on tone. I have a very limited access to used gear so most of the gear I'm going to have to buy new.

2. moogieotter

moogieotter Custom Title

Jun 16, 2009
    Duluth, GA
    Get that SWR Baby Blue on Reverb!

Ric Vice likes this.
  3. Gabazz

Gabazz

Mar 17, 2018
    thanks for your reply. Here there is no reverb.

4. moogieotter

moogieotter Custom Title

Jun 16, 2009
    Duluth, GA
    Where are you?

5. Gabazz

Gabazz

Mar 17, 2018
    Malta (Europe)

DrummerwStrings likes this.
  6. Gabazz

Gabazz

Mar 17, 2018
    Its a pitty SWR have been shelved, they head great products!

vickerekes and Low84 like this.
  7. 12BitSlab

12BitSlab Supporting Member

Nov 28, 2016
    Ampeg PF-350 paired with 1 or 2 of the SVT210AV cabs. Hits all of your criteria.

8. Gabazz

Gabazz

Mar 17, 2018
    how does the PF350 compare to the SVT Micro Head? They are priced very similarly. Also, is the PF-20T a huge improvement or would I be only paying for the legacy, brand and styling?

9. 12BitSlab

12BitSlab Supporting Member

Nov 28, 2016
    I have the Micro-VR head and love it.

However, the fan is loud and might not be a good choice for recording.

DrummerwStrings likes this.
  10. Bergantino!

If none available then purchase direct!

Power tone and light weight choices

11. saabfender

saabfender

Jan 10, 2018
    Indianapolis
    Anything with a 15" speaker. Make sure it idles quietly. That's very important.

Londo Molari likes this.
  12. Gabazz

Gabazz

Mar 17, 2018
    why do you recommend the 15" speaker?

13. Gabazz

Gabazz

Mar 17, 2018
    Too expensive

14. DavC

DavC Supporting Member

May 17, 2005
    Trinity, FL
    i've been trying to use my Line 6 HDProX for my bass recording , but the model pack just doesn't quite get it .. ?!!
    i recently picked up a GK Plex ... with it's usb out , it will work fine for my recording needs ... you could easily run it into any power speaker if/when needed .. so far , it sounds much better than the Line 6 GK models .. !

MobileHolmes likes this.
  15. Gabazz

Gabazz

Mar 17, 2018
    There is a GK MB110 seems to be very cheap. Is it good enough?

16. saabfender

saabfender

Jan 10, 2018
    Indianapolis
    Because they sound the most bass-like when miked. Too expensive? You can buy these things used all day long in the States for $150 or less. If you plan to mike the amp, you might as well pass on 10" speakers and just go DI.

17. Kmonk

Kmonk

Oct 18, 2012
    South Shore, Massachusetts
    Endorsing Artist: Fender, Spector, Ampeg, Curt Mangan Strings, Nordstrand Pickups, Korg Keyboards
    I have an Ampeg BA 500 combo that I have used for studio work and for band rehearsals. Good sounding amp with plenty of power.

SJan3 likes this.
  18. MDBass

MDBass Supporting Member

Nov 7, 2012
    Los Angeles, CA
    Endorsing Artist: Dingwall-Fender-Jule-Dunlop-Tech 21-Darkglass-Nordstrand
    I'd highly recommend the Alpha·Omega Ultra in place of an amp: the included cab IR's give you the option to use anything from a single 410 to a blend of multiple cabs like a 810 bass cab and a 412 guitar cab, and the graphic EQ is very musical.

You'll be able to record significantly better tones direct this way than you will be micing a cab unless you invest thousands of dollars in mics, outboard gear, amps and sound treatment.

packhowitzer likes this.
  19. MDBass

MDBass Supporting Member

Nov 7, 2012
    Los Angeles, CA
    Endorsing Artist: Dingwall-Fender-Jule-Dunlop-Tech 21-Darkglass-Nordstrand
    What a cab sounds like when mic'ed has exponentially more to do with what mic you're using, and more importantly how it is placed, than the size of the speaker in the cabinet.

20. Wasnex

Wasnex

Dec 25, 2011
    Do you have a good guitar amp? If yes, try using it for tracking bass at low volume for the studio. I sometimes play bass through a 1962 Fender Princeton with about 12.5 watts of 6V6 power and it sounds great at low volume. Usually in the studio, low volume helps with isolation and monitoring is done through headphones. If you are tracking bass and guitar at the same time, record the bass with your DI and reamp later if you want the sound of an amp.

If your guitar amp satisfies your studio needs, you are then free to optimize your bass amp purchase for stage volume. IMHO for recording, it's generally preferable to mic a "one way" cab. For stage you may find benefit from a two- or three-way speaker design; I.E. woofer/tweeter, woofer/mid, woofer/mid/tweeter.

In order to get the best advice, I suggest you try to explain the sound and feel you want to achieve.