1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Bass amp for studio

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Gabazz, Mar 17, 2018.

1. Wasnex

Wasnex

Dec 25, 2011
    You decide:

I prefer the sound of the MB200 in these videos, but I am not sure if each of these reviews used a consistent signal path. The MB110 and MB112 sound mic'ed and the MB200 sounds DI'ed.

From the reviews I have read, the MB110/112 combos are voiced a bit warmer than the signature GK sound. The MB200 sounds very true to what I consider GK tone.

Something to consider about expandability: The MB200 makes 140w at 8 ohms and 200w at 4 ohms. Basically you can use this amp with any unpowered bass speakers as long as you don't connect a load below 4 ohms. The MB110 is 100w into an internal 6 ohm speaker. The MB112 is 200w into an internal 4 ohm speaker. There is no output for running an external speaker, but they do have a chain out which is used to plug into a GK MBP series powered cabinet. The bad thing is you are limited pretty much to MBP cabs if you want to expand later. The good thing is you can daisy chain as many MBP cabs as you want. Note there is a MBP 112 extension speaker but not an MBP 110 extension speaker. If you think you might want to expand later, I would go with the MB112 combo. An MB112 with an MBP112 should be a very potent rig.

Plenty of reviews and opinions can be found with a Google search.

2. Wasnex

Wasnex

Dec 25, 2011
    Also compare the GK videos to the TE ELF.

3. Eddie LeBlanc

Eddie LeBlanc

Oct 26, 2014
    Beaumont, Texas
    None
    I got a GK MB 500 around Christmas time on sale for around $300. It is used in the studio with a custom built dual 10" cabinet (running B&C Neo drivers) an 8 ohm cabinet. It is a tuned ported cab. That little GK 500 watt amp works great for rehearsals. And allows me to leave an amp set up for rehearsing. Kind of an inexpensive option. This was an in process of construction pic of that cabinet.
    Dual 10 Cabinet.

And while it works great for small studio rehearsals, it can no way compare to my Genzler MB 800 with the dual Schroeder 12 inch cabinet set up I do with gigs.
    174.JPG

Wasnex likes this.
  4. Gabazz

Gabazz

Mar 17, 2018
    The mb200 undoubtly sounds better than the mb110 or mb112. The MB200 is full of colour. The ELF seems to be not as coloured. I'm really looking g for colour in an amp for studio. Otherwise I could DI and tweak in the DAW.

... and I did not mention that I have around 40 guitar pedals that I would like to use with the amp for more tone options.

Wasnex likes this.
  5. Gabazz

Gabazz

Mar 17, 2018
    @Wasnex I found a used Ashdown Electric Blue. Are these amps good?

6. Wasnex

Wasnex

Dec 25, 2011

I don't know anything about that particular amp. I have used three Ashdowns and they all sounded awesome but had very quirky EQs and drastically different voices. All of them sounded significantly different than GK.

7. Gabazz

Gabazz

Mar 17, 2018
    Still need some help for a bass amp as I have not decided yet. Do you recommend Combo or head and cab?

2x10 or 1x15 for studio?

8. Wasnex

Wasnex

Dec 25, 2011
    The decision should be based upon the sound and features you want, and the money you can spend. I prefer separate heads and cabs as they give more flexibility to mix and match.

The perception of best is subjective. Best if you try before you buy, so you can pick an amp that you think sounds awesome! Otherwise get busy tracking down demos on YouTube.

All of the earlier advice in the thread is still valid.

Gabazz likes this.
  9. Gabazz

Gabazz

Mar 17, 2018
    I am leaning towards a 1x15 as it sounds more coloured than the 2x10. I would like to have head and cab for flexibility, but if I can get one good combo I would be happy too, especially if it get most of my needs covered.

I cannot try most of the amps as I have to buy online. I don't think I'm going for the scooped GK tone, I'm going for a more classic warm/round tone. Maybe it is the 1x15 and not the amp.

The most that interest me are the Ashdown Thomann limited edition 1x15. Seems like to older Ashdown amps, which I thin is a class A/B SS amp. Nice rounded sound and really cheap at about 340 Euro. but I think that this amp is HEAVY! For the same price there is the Ampeg micro-CL stack 2x10. It is also cheap, small and quite light. Not sure if I could get the nice bass tone out of this one though. A step up in price is the Fender Rumble 200 with a 1x15. This thing is light but costs about 500 Euro. Then beyond this there is the Ampeg portaflex series. I could get a 1x15 and either the PF350 head or the PF20T. These would cost around 750 and 1000 Euro respectively.

I preferably spend 500 or less, but if I have to spend a bit more for a good tone then I'll wait and get a better amp.

10. mapleglo

mapleglo Gold Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2013
    phoenix, az
    I'm a big fan of Ampeg, but I would recommend against the Micro VR or CL for your needs. I have a Micro VR stack, and the fan noise is just too loud for recording if you are mic'ing the cab. I know this from experience. Additionally, I'm not impressed with the low end response from the 2x10 cabs. I think you'd do much better with one of the PF series amps, and perhaps a 1x15" Ampeg cab. I also have a PF-50T, which is great for recording, but likely out of your budget.

I'll add that I have not had great results from the Ampeg amp DI outputs. I use a Sansamp VT for DI on my pedal board. It can also add a bit of "dirt" to the sound if that's your thing.

11. Gabazz

Gabazz

Mar 17, 2018
    The 50W ampeg is out of my budget, but I could stretch it for the 20W and 1x15. I have Radial DI to record a clean bass with the mic'd bass sound. Yes, fan noise would be an issue. I have many guitar pedals, some of which work for bass. Last week I got EHX Hot Wax that works really well with bass. I enjoy the blend knob.

mapleglo likes this.
  12. HaHaHa! :laugh: :roflmao: :laugh: You can pick $15,000 worth of bass amps and $10,000 worth of speaker cabinets, and $4,000 worth of studio quality bass effects, or you can buy one all powerful encompassing unit. Fender Rumble Studio 40. Rumble™ Studio 40

13. Wasnex

Wasnex

Dec 25, 2011

The Aguilar ToneHammer series is voiced much warmer than GK, as is the little Trace Elliot I mentioned earlier.

Given the equipment you already have, getting a bass speaker instead of another amp is a good idea. You can always buy another amp later. Have you tried your other speakers with a mic yet? I have a JMI era Vox AC30 and Celestion Blues...sounds incredible with bass, but you can be sure I keep the volume down.

The size of the speaker does not ultimately determine how heavily it is voiced.

I would also advise you to continue watching your local classifieds. It's far better to try before you buy, and usually used gear that is not abused is a bargain. Also check out your local music scene and talk to players about their gear. Some will do a quick demo for you.

Do you travel? I often work visits to music stores into my travels.

14. Gabazz

Gabazz

Mar 17, 2018
    I do not travel for work, and my country is a small island. Here a lot of bassist use DI (most of which I play with) so they do not need to bring an amp for gigs. The used market is pretty dry and most of the time it is not worth buying as they expect to get paid what they bought it for.

I have 5 guitar tube amps in the studio. I tried playing the bass through a Fender 2x12 100w frontman. It is an open back combo. I really liked the sound, but I am concerned that even at low volumes I would create failing spots in the speaker. Then it would tear up when playing loud the guitar. I read it so I do not know for sure, but if I tear a speaker it is not worth replacing in that amp. Their argument is that the bass in an open back cab would push the speaker beyond the designed displacement.

15. Wasnex

Wasnex

Dec 25, 2011
    You can damage any speaker if you exceed it's mechanical limits, so yes there is concern with the amount of displacement. However, playing bass through a 12" guitar speaker at low volume (1 or 2 watts) will cause less displacement than rocking out at full volume with guitar (>50 watts). Confirm this for yourself instead of taking the word of strangers.

Keep the volume down and use your attenuator as necessary. The mic does not need a lot of SPL to capture a good sound.

If you are still concerned...buy a bass speaker and play as loud as your amp will go. If your going to use one of your tube amps, just be mindful of the impedance of the amp's output transformer.

I thought you mentioned a music store on your home island. Which bass equipment have you tried there?

16. Gabazz

Gabazz

Mar 17, 2018
    There are a few good stores, but with limited stock. Sometimes the suppliers give them a hard time too. The 1x15 is out of stock. I've tried all the used stuff around.

BTW, @Wasnex thank you for being so patient and helpful!

17. Wasnex

Wasnex

Dec 25, 2011

Chances are if they get something in stock, it will fly out the door quickly, so check frequently and make friends with the sales people. If they like you, maybe the will give you a phone call when something interesting shows up.

18. Gabazz

Gabazz

Mar 17, 2018
    How does the rumble studio compare to a rumble (latest generation)

19. The front ends are completely different: digital vs analog. Go and audition a Studio 40 vs a Rumble 40.