1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Bass amp for studio

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Gabazz, Mar 17, 2018.

1. Wasnex

Wasnex

Dec 25, 2011
    I meant you should listen to whatever YouTube videos you can find. If you listen to several videos, you should be able to get a better feel for each cabinet's character.

With either ported or sealed design, you move the mic around until it sounds good. I can't say for certain, but I might expect it be a bit more challenging to integrate the direct sound of the driver and the port through one mic, than to mic a sealed cabinet where all the sound emanates from the driver. But ultimately you must like the source sound to begin with. Perhaps someone with more experience in this area will comment.

Whenever I have mic'ed ported cabs in the past I thought it sounded fine and it did not take a lot of work to get a sound. I am more of a live sound tech. All of my studio work has been as a bass player and I have not been mic'd since around 95 as I prefer to use a DI.

Gabazz likes this.
  2. Gabazz

Gabazz

Mar 17, 2018
    And which cab to pair it up with pf115le for pf115he

3. Rumbledore

Rumbledore Gold Supporting Member

Jun 2, 2018
    So. Cal
    What's your point? Did what I have to say have any flaw?

4. Eddie LeBlanc

Eddie LeBlanc

Oct 26, 2014
    Beaumont, Texas
    None
    Wide Frequency Response, and High SPL Efficiency Level, and rated for high watt input if you want to. And Lite weight, small, with B&C Neo 12" Driver and crossover and tweeter.

Check out the Schroeder 12 PL. 35 to 20K hz response, 102 Db SPL, 600 watts RMS rated. Weighs 28 lbs, is 20.5”W x 15”H x 15”D

Cabinets | Schroeder Cabinets | Bass Cabinets | California

5. Wasnex

Wasnex

Dec 25, 2011
    Keep in mind that @beans-on-toast mentioned a specific microphone technique that calls for the mics to be equidistant from a dipole radiator and out of phase....this was not meant to infer you always flip phase when using two mics, but it is necessary to flip phase when using this specific technique.

beans-on-toast likes this.
  6. beans-on-toast

beans-on-toast Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2008
    Always listen and see what works best. That applies to any mic’ing technique. Breaking the rules can also work to give you a unique usable sound.

Room mics also make a difference in terms of adding ambience, as does that mic a few feet away.

7. ScottTunes

ScottTunes Gear-A-Holic Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2011
    So Cal
    The ribbon (I have used the Oktava ribbon for bass) would be great! But, turn it a bit off axis to protect the ribbon element.

The 57 will work just fine. The 421 is good too. aim somewhere between the center of the driver and the edge. You should stay away from the port. It's simply a "plug of air" that moves back ad forth with the driver. It sounds awful when mic'ed! Try it!

Evidently, my '66 Princeton was modified to be clean all the way to full volume! Where my '64 DR is stock. I prefer the DR through a number of bass cabs for recording bass because it just gets a great sound, with a little hair on it! I like the DR best for guitar as well. Great cleans, but truly awesome (I rarely use that word!) "in-between" sound (in between clean and distorted) for bass and guitar!

I use many basses to record with. I can get all of them to sound great through the DR. From Ps and Mustangs to Hofners, Rickenbackers, SG and Carvin... Happy to have such choices, too.

I should have quoted the questions for these replies... Just don't have time at this moment...

Experimentation is the key to great sounds! Try anything and everything! I advise beginning with the simplest, most straight forward approach. Take notes to remember what you "did" so you can repeat it. Or, the notes will say you didn't like it and you won't do "that" again! ;-)

Have fun! Make that joyful noise!!

Wasnex likes this.
  8. ScottTunes

Feb 7, 2011
    So Cal
    By the way, forgot to mention that I also have a Traynor YBA2A (BassMate head), which is Traynor's version of the Deluxe, but without trem and verb. Mine plays clean clean clean like my Princeton, however! It CAN be overdriven, but it's not nearly as smooth as the DR.

9. Gabazz

Gabazz

Mar 17, 2018
    Thank you for the help. I'm going give a try and go for the Ampeg PF115LF. The PF20T is out of stock but I'm going to get that head when it is in stock.

If I were to use the setup for a gig, which SS head could I use that is louder then the PF20T? Something below 350 Euro and differently voiced would be very welcome addition. The different voice is really desired so I would have 2 tones available.

Wasnex likes this.
  10. Gabazz

Gabazz

Mar 17, 2018
    Which SS head would you recommend?

11. JoeWPgh

JoeWPgh

Dec 21, 2012
    If it's not out of your price range, the PF-50 is a really sweet amp, with the high and low boost, as well as the sweepable midrange common to most other Ampeg tube amps

12. Korladis

Korladis Banned Supporting Member

I've recorded through an open back guitar combo. Had to do it at low volume, but it sounded good.

ScottTunes likes this.
  13. Korladis

Indeed. Kick drum mics suck for bass guitar.

Wasnex likes this.
  14. Korladis

Try with either and select the one that sounds best.

15. ScottTunes

Feb 7, 2011
    So Cal
    Except for the EV RE20 and EV N/D 868. Both work well for bass guitar cabs, and kick drum.

16. Gabazz

Gabazz

Mar 17, 2018
    I'm not looking for a mic, but for a SS head that can keep up with a drummer

Wasnex likes this.
  17. dlb1001

dlb1001

Jan 30, 2007
    Fender Rumble 500 head.

Gabazz likes this.
  18. Gabazz

Gabazz

Mar 17, 2018
    I was really considering the Rumble. Is the 200 Loud enough? the cab is only 400W. Also, the 500 is a bit beyond the budget.

19. dlb1001

dlb1001

Jan 30, 2007
    Oh...from your last post, I thought you were asking about a SS head only so that's why I mentioned the Rumble 500, which comes in a separate amp head and combo.
    I would buy the amp head then look for an used 4 ohm cabinet then you get the full 500 watts.

20. Gabazz

Gabazz

Mar 17, 2018
    I don't plan on frequent gigging, mostly for home recording so I think the 500w could be a bit much. As i mentioned earlier in the thread, the used market here is pretty dry. So a used cab is difficult to find. The rumble 500 head costs almost as much as the 500 combo here which is at least 150% of my budget