Bass Amp Game 2.0 (Combo version!)

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Uncle Amos, Oct 10, 2005.

1. Uncle Amos

Uncle Amos

Sep 3, 2004
    I need suggestions for a good quality combo amp suitable for band practice and "medium" volume music played for up to 500 people in a Church setting. The amp needs to be versatile enough to play all the standard "Worship" (pop/rock ballads) music as well as jazzier, funkier tunes. I would also use this amp for practicing with any other bands (Alternative/rock/funk) i play with. Versatility is key!

I've researched all the options, and a combo is best for this situation because of weight/portability/space issues. Also, my Church will be getting a good PA system so I can just mike/DI the amp if I need more volume. Mainly I want just what i need to hear myself over an apparently stone-deaf drummer and a guitar player with a Crate 2X12 combo who thinks his volume knob is his EQ section.

From my research I've come to the conclusion that the amp will need to somewhat adhere to these specs:

-Around 100W or so
    -1x15 or 2x10 (other suggestions appreciated)
    -costing up to or around $300, and I will definitely buy used.
    -Tonewise: I like a mix-cutting, gut-punchy midrange, with smooth deep articulate lows and clear warm highs. I prefer a somewhat "vintage" tone that sounds good for both fingerstyle and occasional (infrequent) slap.
    -Needs to be able to handle the low B/high C of a 5 or 6 string, as one of these will be purchased in the near future.

Sorry for the long post. Thanks!
  2. Uncle Amos

Uncle Amos

Sep 3, 2004
    18+ views and no comments? :eyebrow: I guess that's what i get for writing a long post..... :rolleyes:
  3. jellybass

jellybass Guest

Nov 8, 2004
    Ampeg BA210sp, look for a used one on eBay and you will be in business.
  4. Peavey Combo 300 Should be able to find one cheap used and they can Drive a second cab if needed . 210 watts alone 300 with a 4 ohm cab. :bassist:
  5. Uncle Amos

Uncle Amos

Sep 3, 2004
    Thanks guys! I'll definitely check those out. especially the Ampeg :D
  6. Aj*

Jun 14, 2005
    West Yorkshire, UK