Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Bass amp, guitar cab?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by nigeltufnel, Aug 25, 2005.

1. nigeltufnel

nigeltufnel

Aug 24, 2005
    Hey all,
    I was just wondering if there is anything wrong with driving a guitar speaker cab with a bass amp head. I couldn't think of anything problems this would make, but then again I don't know too much about this stuff. Thanks!

2. Tash

Tash

Feb 13, 2005
    Bel Air Maryland
    Guitar cabs aren't designed for the low frequencies basses produce. You are likely to blow the speakers at very low volumes if you do that.

3. 8mmOD

8mmOD

Mar 20, 2005
    USA
    I endorse & use Tech 21 pedals, Eminence loaded cabs, EMG pickups, Jim Dunlop picks & Ernie Ball Strings, BC Rich Basses.
    using it with a bass or with a guitar?

4. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Bad idea. Real bad. The drivers in a bass cab have much greater excursion to handle the power of low frequencies. Speakers for guitars are wimpy and will blow up just thinking about 40 hz.

5. todd 4ta

todd 4ta

Apr 3, 2003
    Indiana
    If you try it, be sure and take an 'after' picture of the blown drivers....

6. nigeltufnel

nigeltufnel

Aug 24, 2005
    Sorry, I guess I should have been more specific. I meant playing a guitar (not a bass) through a bass head/guitar cab.

7. 8mmOD

8mmOD

Mar 20, 2005
    USA
    I endorse & use Tech 21 pedals, Eminence loaded cabs, EMG pickups, Jim Dunlop picks & Ernie Ball Strings, BC Rich Basses.
    A buddy of mine swears by his vintage fender bassman for guitar. I own '71 Marshall Super lead that was rewired to a Super Bass head, I use it for guitar with a Marshall 412 guitar cab... come to think of it, in 10+ years I have never even used that amp for bass. What amp and what cab?

8. nigeltufnel

nigeltufnel

Aug 24, 2005
    Thanks for the reply.

I have a ampeg/hartke rig I use for my bass. Then I have an old peavey TNT 160 combo. I was thinking about taking the amp out of it and building a enclosure for it as well as building a cab with guitar speakers (maybe 2x12" or 4x12"). I don't play guitar too seriously, so I just thought it would be a fun, possibly useful little project.

Also, I was wondering if I could run my ampeg head through the guitar cab (not at full power) when I get it built.

9. 8mmOD

8mmOD

Mar 20, 2005
    USA
    I dont see a problem, especially for that application. Just make sure you properly match the wattage & impedence and definately don't play a bass through it!

10. I wouldn't use anything other than a bass amp for guitar.