1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Bass amp head advice please!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Jimmy Herrera, Feb 21, 2016.

1. Jimmy Herrera

Jimmy Herrera

Feb 6, 2016
    Hello guys!,

So i bought this gallien krueger 2-12Neo 600 W at 8 ohms bass cabinet but it may sound dumb but i have been playing for years and this is acually my first cabinet. So now, i want to buy a head but im not that high tech guy and dont want to blow it up using the incorrect wattage or ohms whatever that is. What is the right size head i need for a 600W @ 8ohms? I want a tube head and i can get some recomendations that would be nice. Thanks guys!

2. pcake

pcake Supporting Member

Sep 20, 2011
    Los Angeleez
    JtSD619 likes this.
  3. You might want to steer clear of all tube heads until you have the time to read and understand the importance of ohm matching.

4. username1

username1

Dec 28, 2005
    alberta canada
    The mb fusion is only preamp tubed and will accept any load 4ohms or more

5. Nighttrain1127

Nighttrain1127 Supporting Member

Nov 27, 2004
    Near Worcester MA
    There is nothing to really understand with a tube head that you don't need to understand with any head about ohms. Most tube heads can handle 8,4 and 2 ohms the only thing you need to know with tube heads is don't go above 8 ohms if that is what they are rated for or below 2 ohms. Depending on if you are in a band and what type of music you play and how loud you need to be will help determine what head you should get . So that information from you will help a lot. Also know you do not need 600 watts to make the speaker work. And that the 600 watts rating is where the voice coil will fail so in actuality 300-450 watts would be the limit your cab will handle. If you are unsure keep asking questions here people like to help and some will offer their opinion on alternate solutions. There is no minimum amp wattage to make a speaker cab function. I have a pair of GK Neo 212II that I run with a Fender Super Bassman 300 and the 2 8ohm speakers is a 4 ohm load on the amp so the switch needs to be put in the correct position on the rear of the amp .

6. Nighttrain1127

Nov 27, 2004
    Near Worcester MA
    Tube amps are no different in regards to speaker(ohm) loads than solid state amps. Also the 600 watt rating on the GK Cabs is thermal rating where the voice coil fails. Realistic power handling is more in the 300-450 watt area. Just because they are rated at 600 watts does not mean you have to be able to feed them that much power. There is no minimum power rating to make a speaker work (make sound) . I have a pair of GK 212 II neo cabs I run with a Fender Super Bassman 300 and it is more than loud enough for The Classic Rock Band I am in. A lot of what you need for amp power will be determined by what type of music and how loud you need to get. So that information will help people make suggestions as to what amp and power level you need.

7. tgriley62

tgriley62

Jan 25, 2011
    S.E. Mo
    The only thing I know about tube amps is that they have to be connected to a cabinet if they are turned on. If you turn it on without it being connected it will damage the head

8. Nighttrain1127

Nov 27, 2004
    Near Worcester MA
    +1 to always having a Speaker cab connected to a tube head when powered on to avoid damage.