1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Bass amp head to play both six guitar and bass guitar

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by richardempty, May 22, 2017.

1. richardempty

richardempty

Jan 22, 2017
    hi. i know this is a well covered topic but i wanted to dive into it some more.

i'm looking for a bass amp head. dual purpose.

i have a great 15" bass cab, with a scorpion speaker. down the road, i'll also purchase a great guitar cab too. i'm currently playing bass through a small Carvin Microbass and using my 15" cab as the extension. cool sound and it can gig okay. but i want to expand.

i've looked up some options and what looks most intriguing to me are:
    • Sunn tube amps
    • Traynor YBA
    • Laney AOR

i love tube sounds for guitar amps. these amps have that growl and capability to doom drone for days. what i'm wondering is how practical is it really? i want to maintain the bottom end for stoner chuffage. would i be able to hook up both a bass cab and a guitar cab (GRANTED THE OHMS MATCH!) with these amp heads?

i'm also wondering if this is even a worthwhile endeavor. perhaps there is an alternative. my aim is to consolidate. i'm not much interested in Bassmans. Or super expensive Superbasses or Hiwatt 100's.

2. Some variety style gigs I play bass and guitar alternately. I use my Ampeg PF 800 for bass and my archtop guitars for jazz/country/blues/old time fiddle/classic rock stuff. I also use the PF115HE cab for a tight sound, but not the PF115LF as it's just too boomy for guitar.
    A guitar cab would be better I suppose, but then I'd be carrying two cabs (too much stuff). Might as well drag my Peavey VK212 in that case.

3. WoodyJ

WoodyJ

Jul 29, 2008
    Smyrna, GA
    A '60's Fender Dual Showman works beautifully for guitar and bass. 85 watts of tube-driven bliss.

This one is a '67 backdated to '61-62 cosmetics and cost about the same as a used Deluxe Reverb. Loud enough? Go to a Dick Dale concert and you'll quickly find out. :thumbsup:

A cabinetmaker friend built the pictured 1x15 cabinet. It has an E-V 4 ohm speaker that is guitar and bass friendly.

DSCN1367.