Bass amp head

Discussion in 'Amps, Mics & Pickups [DB]' started by Monkeytime, Apr 2, 2000.

1. Monkeytime

Mar 22, 2000
    I am looking for a recomendation on a brand and style of Bass head. This will be used for both electric and upright bass.

I am looking for something that is not too expensive and in the 200watt range.

Also something that is rack mountable.
    what are some of your thoughts on Ampeg and Gallen-Krugger...however you spell it...

Thanks for the help.
  2. the amps you mentioned are both good.but I recomend a 31 band graphic eq to notch out WILL get feedback amplifying an acoustic instrument with any real volume behind it,but your amp choices are well suited for your double duty situation.
  3. mavbass

Dec 11, 2001
    ive just brought an swr ST 220 watts head and a trace elliot 2 10 cab for my URB & EB, crisp sound with lots of room to shape. im using an SD PU-4 peizo pickup with a fishman pro eq pre amp.
    fairly in expernsive settup.
  4. abaguer

Nov 27, 2001
    Milford, NJ
    I assume you're not going the Clarus route although I think they are the best mid-expensive heads, but I don't think they are rackmountable.

When buying a head you should probably think about volume and tone, sometimes they are mutually exclusive in the low price range. I used and still own a Gallien Kruger 800rb. It is relatively neutral sounding which is something you want with upright bass. It is bi-ampable (300 watts into 4ohms, 100 watts into 8ohms) and I found it to be really good for both upright and electric. When using it with upright I kept everything flat, with electric I would play with the tone.

It's a workhorse, versatile and not too expensive. I don't know how much volume you need but that should be a consideration in your decision. As I've gotten older I've spent the money for good really equipment that's highly portable (Walter Woods, Clarus, Fodera, Knutson, Eden/Acme 2x10, 1x10) but if I've still got my GK because it really cuts through mixes. Gool luck.