bass amp help for newbie

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by killfc, Dec 30, 2002.

1. killfc

Dec 30, 2002

I am looking for a bit of assistance in buying a bass amp, I have been for the past 10 years a guitarist and have decided to swap to bass, and would like to get back into a band after a 2 1/2 year absence.
    Ive got myself a half decent bass and would like some assistance with buying an amp. ive tried the marshall b150 which i like the sound of but havnt really had any chance to play any others makes, im trying to get a sound a bit like clawfinger or staind something like that (although it is mostly technique that affects that), ive got a budget of about 500 quid, and noticed that on a certain website there is a trace elliott 715 going for 299 which has been discounted. im basically after as many watts as possible for my money.

my last band the bass player used ampeg stuff but that was as tall as he was and i would like something that is reasonably portable to start with.

any help would be great.

2. ndjx

Oct 26, 2001
    I'd go with that Trace combo you mentioned. Trace makes great and loud stuff, you could probably also get an extension cab with the money left over.
  3. CS

Dec 11, 1999
    TE stuff has a very pronounced sound to it that makes any bass sound like Trace Elliot. This is obviously my personal and subjective opinion. The 715 combo is a 300w 1x15 jobbie if my memory serves me well. A mate has one and they are fine if you like the sound. 300 notes seems a good price.

Do yourself a favour and try out some Ashdown stuff as well.
  4. rockbassist1087

rockbassist1087 Guest

Nov 29, 2002
    Long Island, NY
    Yea the trace you mentioned sounds pretty good in your situation.
  5. Paul A

Paul A

Dec 13, 1999
    Hertfordshire U.K!
    Ashdown! ..... Looks like you are from the U.K. so try Wembley Guitar Centre - they will do you the best deal :)

BTW Haven't Trace gone out of existence???
  6. DCman

Apr 7, 2002
    Another vote for Ashdown! hehe

but that trace for £300 sounds pretty good too!

DC :)