1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Bass Amp Help

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by ScottYak, Feb 20, 2013.

1. ScottYak

ScottYak

Feb 20, 2013
    Hello all!

I'm in the process of looking at buying my first bass amp head and wondering which will be the right one for my needs. Some help from people with the know on this would be greatly appreciated!

I play in a band which predominantly plays 90's grunge and rock so i need and amp that has got BIG beef to it, a little bit gritty and packs a real punch. No need for an on board tuner but a compressor would be a bonus although i could get a pedal for that. My budget is around £600 ($800 ish) but I could be persuaded to go a little higher.

Thanks,
    Scott

2. ScottYak

ScottYak

Feb 20, 2013
    *using a Fender P Bass

3. Depends on whether you want the finished article or you are prepared to build a cab to go with a head?

4. ScottYak

ScottYak

Feb 20, 2013
    I've not actually considered buying a cab yet. Most of the gigs we play at have a cab provided and also I don't want to be lugging one around with me. So it's just the head I'm looking for at the moment

5. staindbass

staindbass

Jun 9, 2008
    whatever it is, i would suggest used equipment. you can get a nicer rig for the same money, or only spend half of what you thought you would. if your playing with a loud rock band, i would say you need at least 2-15 inch (or 2- 4x10 cabs) and 500w rms.

6. +1

7. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    +2 and I'll add, depending on a venue to provide a cab is risky. The spkr cab is fully 60% of your sound, and no matter what amp you buy, how it sounds will be dependant on pure chance.

8. ScottYak

ScottYak

Feb 20, 2013
    Righto thanks for the advice guys!

9. I humbly recommend a full rig as well, you can't count on your venues for a good cabinet. Transportation for our rig is a problem for many of us, but we need to have equipment to work.

One alternative might be to go amp-less if you always have PA support. Then use a single "bass monitor" wedge or in ear monitors to hear yourself. Sound guys will praise you but you will have to be both actively involved in your EQ and be tactful about your communication to the sound tech in the process. Sans Amp seems to be a popular rig for the amp-less crowd. There are quite a few threads on the subject.

10. will33

will33

May 22, 2006
    austin,tx
    Not knowing what you're going to get in a supplied cab can be real hit or miss.

I'd post what's available to you on the used market and get opinions of folks who have owned them. Quality used is better than budget new. Then save the rest of the money to put towards a cab of your own you like.

11. Yep as already said - go for something like 500-600 watts into 8ohm and buy S/H. Just put a box around a couple of decent speakers from PD or Eminence - lots f info on which hre at talkbass.

12. You need a cab for rehearsals as well as gigs.

In the UK you have a heap of older Ashdown and Trace amps. 250 or 300 real watts which would blow up provided backline cabs quite easily. These go for 300 squids.

When I was in the UK many moons ago pubs doing live music were backline amps, unmic'd drums with vocal PA catering to max 200 boozers but usually less. If that is what you're looking at buy this for GBP395:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Trace-Ell...usicalInstr_Amplifiers_RL&hash=item19d8ffc650

You won't blow away any 100W tube guitar stacks but it will definitely keep up to the drumset.

13. DownunderWonder - completely agree - That's why I use a pair of 3015 loaded cabs - one for rehearsals two for gigs - Laney 120 watt for reheasals and a MAG 250 with both cabs for gigs.