1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Bass Amp Idea

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by trunkshope6, Oct 17, 2006.

1. Well ,its time for a new rig but i kinda want to try something different.I have an old Peavey Power amp model number PV-4C that can pump out 500 watts when bridged.So instead of buying a head and cabinet i was wondering if i buy a low watt bass head,use that as a mixer for the power amp and just buy a 500 watt cabinet,all just really using the power from the peavey.Is that possible?

2. billfitzmaurice

billfitzmaurice Commercial User

Sep 15, 2004
    New Hampshire
    Owner, Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design
    Buy a pre-amp.

3. then just run that through the peavey then to th cab?

4. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    Exactly

5. but whats wrong with using a regular bass head,the premamps im looking at looks like it will give less tone variety.

6. Scott in Dallas

Scott in Dallas Commercial User

Aug 16, 2005
    Dallas, north Texas
    Builder and Owner: DJ Ash Guitars
    If you find one with features you want that isn't available as a preamp only then it's a way to go. You are basically paying for a power amp section you won't use. There are a number of good preamps out there. I have a 4C that I used to use with a Bassfex as the preamp and I biamped it to an EV 15 and my Hartke. Sounded awesome and would knock the breath out of you.