Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Bass Amp in my budget.

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Rush1988, Jul 21, 2002.

1. Rush1988

Rush1988 Guest

May 12, 2002
    USA, GA, Atlanta
    I'm playing a crate bx50 amp right now and it doesn't have very clear tone. I'm looking for an amp with a nice warm clear tone that has at least 100 watts under 500 dollars. Please help me out.

Thanks,
    Mike

2. petch

petch Supporting Member

Mar 25, 2001
    Medina, Ohio
    Asdown EB-130 at The Bass Place, Arizona. 130watts, 15" speaker, quality manufacturer. Check their website...:)

3. PeaveyTNT

PeaveyTNT Banned

Jul 21, 2002
    USA
    Well, this may cost u a bit more... But i play a Peavey TNT 150 watt... and that ran my dad about...600.... But,...you can get a Peavet TKO that is about 75 watts and 100 with an external speaker for around 450$-500$...they sound awsome too... I only went with the TNT so i wouldnt need an upgrade as soon as i would witha TKO...btw...never ever buy crate.

4. fatrhino

fatrhino

Jan 2, 2000
    I bought a TNT used for under $300. Go used.

5. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Nope. What you want is an SWR Workingman's 12. Meets all your criteria, and it's a real amp. If you can spring for a SABDDI at the same time, go for it.

6. sbasssman

sbasssman Guest

Jan 1, 2002
    Check out the Carvin combos. They're in your price range.

7. CaptainWally

CaptainWally Supporting Member

Oct 21, 2000
    Sandy Eggo, CA
    ditto on workingman 12 or 15.

8. FunkySpoo

FunkySpoo Supporting Member

Feb 6, 2002
    Nope, What Munji said is the way to go

9. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    Check out Nemesis amps.

Theyre built by Eded, and have a great tone, but are pretty inexpensive.

The only downside is the lack of extra features and accessories.

Peace
    Nick

10. Richard Lindsey

Richard Lindsey

Mar 25, 2000
    Metro NYC
    Naw, what sbasssman said is the way to go.;) :p

Seriously, the Workingman combos don't sound like anything special to me. I think the smaller Carvins sound better, if not by that much; and if our man can find a used RC210, that's a *much* better amp IMHO.

Also, in a recent head-to-head taste test, I thought the Ampeg 1-15 model--not the one in diamond blue tolex, the one in black--sounded better than the Workingman. (What is that, the BA115?) And I'm not even much of an Ampeg fan.

11. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    ::My voice::

I really really dislike SWR.

The sound is too sterile. I like an amp that colors the sound. It gives it warmth, charachter, and life. Add to that the poor low end compared to other amps, and you see why I dont like them.

::My voice off::

::in the voice of an SWR lover::

I think SWR is great.

They produce an clear and uncolored tone. I think a transparent sounding amp is great. You really hear your bass, and there is nothing you dont want. On top of all that, they dont have that sub low end rumble, and are punchy as hell. Thats why I love SWR.

::SWR lover voice off::

::My voice back on::

Go try out all the amps that are recommended, and decide for yourself. Everyone hears them differently, and wants something different. If you wnat better opinions that could be more helpful, tell us what style you play, and what bassist tone you like. The bass you are using could help too.

Peace
    Nick

12. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    The Carvin RC 210 isn't a bad call. If you can find a used one, it'll give you more volume than the WM-12 or WM-15. It's a matter of taste. I like SWR.

13. Lackey

Lackey

May 10, 2002
    Los Angeles
    aahhh,, 600 for a Peavey TNT combo?? If you buy one don't pay anywhere near that much. I recommend either the Ashdown Blue 130 watt combos or the TubeWorks 7200 combos. You say warm but clear,, I think those would work pretty well for that. Tubeworks even has a 12AX7 preamp tube in it (and was rated #1 15" combo by Bass Player mag). www.basspalace.com carries both.

SWR makes good gear,, it just sounds to sterile to me. I was forced to play swr bass 350 head at a gig and It sounded frozen IMO.

OH,, Ampeg makes great warm sounding combo amps too,, check them out.

14. hyperlitem

hyperlitem Guest

Jul 25, 2001
    Indianapolis, IN
    yea i was gonna say 600 for a tnt is redic. I think i payed 200 for mine back in the day for my first amp, it was in perfect condition. See what you can find used. i got my head and cab for 550 used in great condition, a hartke 7000 head and a 4x10. If your into a combo the hold ampeg combos are pretty sweet as are everything else everyone has said here.

15. Chasarms

Chasarms Casual Observer

May 24, 2001
    Bettendorf, IA USA
    If you can find a used Nemesis NC-210, it will be less than $500.

I assure you it will have all the tone and output you want.

Chas

16. Aaron

Aaron

Jun 2, 2001
    Bellingham, WA
    I'd also look at SWR's acoustic amps (strawberry blonde/california blonde.) They do work well for bass. The strawberry blonde cost $500 new, which is just $50 more than the WM 10 (or $50 less than the WM 12 .)

17. I play through a Marshall B150, 150 watt combo with a 15" speaker. Sounds great with my MIA Jazz. Bout £550, not sure what that is in dollars, probably just a bit over what you said you wanted, but worth lookin out for maybe

18. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    Im pretty sure that I got mine brand new for less than $500.

I got it as a X-Mas gift, so Im not positive, but if you check with Bass Central, you can find out for sure. Thats where my dad said he got it from and he kept on telling me how impressed he was with everything about the place.

Im sure if you send Gard a personal Message he can help you out.

Peace
    Nick

19. Chasarms

Chasarms Casual Observer

May 24, 2001
    Bettendorf, IA USA
    Don't want to give away Gard's prices, but they were the most competitive I was able to find and it was a little more than that.

List is $850, so even deep discounting is going to get you in the $550-600 range.

Regardless, they are worth the money. I have found it as useful to me as any amp I have ever owned.

Chas