1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Bass Amp only produces sound if Bass is plugged into "Return" Jack.

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Deadly_Ant, Dec 14, 2019.

1. Deadly_Ant

Deadly_Ant Commercial User

Dec 14, 2019
    Hey guys,
    So I bought my first bass pack this week and I have a problem with my amp. It is an Eclipse BA-30. So I used it for a few days and it worked perfectly, today I decided to hook my setup to my PC to try to record some bass lines and now my whole setup is messed up. My amp only makes sound if my bass is directly plugged into the "Return" Jack and the knobs for gain, volume and etc. don't work anymore. When I plug my bass into the input jack like I always do, the only sound that comes out is some minor static and some distorted sound if I crank the Gain to the max. Please help me as this is my first ever bass and I'm really eager to learn and don't have money for a new amp.

2. Try plugging a short patch cable from Send to Return. If that works, one of those two jacks is faulty.

projectapollo, DJ Bebop and Ric5 like this.
  3. Deadly_Ant

Dec 14, 2019
    That is another problem, I have very few resources... Only one long cable I use for my setup and a singe 3.5mm to big jack converter... Any other solution ?

4. JimChjones

JimChjones

Aug 6, 2017
    SE England
    Plug your mobile phone or PC sound output into the 3.5mm jack and into the amp, and use the long cable between send and return.

DJ Bebop and wave rider like this.
  5. Deadly_Ant

Dec 14, 2019
    Right, it does not work. The PC hasn't even recognized it as an audio device.

6. JimChjones

JimChjones

Aug 6, 2017
    SE England
    I meant plug the 3.5 into a headphone socket on the PC if you have one. Sorry I wasn't clear. Anything with a headphone output will do. Keep the headphone volume turned down fairly low though or the distortion will be horrible.

DJ Bebop likes this.
  7. Deadly_Ant

Dec 14, 2019
    Yes that is what I did, the long cable into Send and Return, 3.5mm into Headphone jack and the other 1/4 into Input of the Amp and I played a song. No sound, just static like before.

8. JimChjones

JimChjones

Aug 6, 2017
    SE England
    And if you plug the device into the return is it OK?

9. Deadly_Ant

Dec 14, 2019
    The device as in the bass ? Well yes the amp produces sound coming from the bass but the knobs for gain, volume and others do not have any effect if the bass is plugged into the Return jack.

10. JimChjones

JimChjones

Aug 6, 2017
    SE England
    Its one of these is it?
    Presumably there are send and return jacks on the back?
    So,
    1 - if you plug either instrument or a music player into the front you get bad sound
    2 - if you plug either instrument or a music player into the return you get good sound
    3 - it makes no difference at all if you link the send and return with a jack to jack cable while playing the music player through the front?

How old is it? Did you get it new or secondhand?
    50748631_59bfda99b0d2b8-50969833Eclipse-BA-30-30W-Bass-pojacalo.jpg

DJ Bebop likes this.
  11. Deadly_Ant

Dec 14, 2019
    Yes its that one, I only get sound in the front at all if I max out the gain and its distorted to heck. I got it brand new and only had it for a week or less.

12. themickster

themickster

Oct 4, 2015
    I reckon the pre-amp isn't working, or the input jack isn't. Take the whole thing back to the seller.

13. You have to answer the questions as they are posed to help the questioner figure where the problem is.

DJ Bebop likes this.
  14. JimChjones

JimChjones

Aug 6, 2017
    SE England
    Yep, back to shop. You've done all the checking that's reasonable.

Aqualung60 and DJ Bebop like this.
  15. Deadly_Ant

Dec 14, 2019
    But what could have caused it to break or stop working ? I only plugged it into the PC for some recording and then it stopped working.

16. JimChjones

JimChjones

Aug 6, 2017
    SE England
    Electronic devices usually fail fairly quickly or not for years, but exactly how did you plug it into the PC?

Iristone and DJ Bebop like this.
  17. Deadly_Ant

Dec 14, 2019
    I used a 3.5mm cable with the 1/4 jack converter. I plugged the 1/4 side into the Send jack, and the 3.5mm side into the Line In input in the PC.

18. That'll happen sometimes with stereo into mono, if that's what you meant.

Borrow another 1/4 cable to test bass into regular input with the send return looped. Then you will know for sure it's not the loop malfunctioning.

DJ Bebop likes this.
  19. Now I am confused. Where was the bass in all of this?

20. Deadly_Ant

Dec 14, 2019
    Sorry I forgot to mention that the bass was connected with the standard long 1/4 cable and it was plugged into the Input jack.

DJ Bebop likes this.