Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

bass amp / P.A. ?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Matthew Bryson, Jan 20, 2003.

1. Matthew Bryson

Matthew Bryson Guest

Jul 30, 2001
    The other night a had a buddy over for a couple of beers. He likes to play harmonica and we ended up playing a little blues. He asked me how many in's do you have on your amp? He was figuring that he should buy a cheap mic one of these days so that he can plug in to my amp when we jam. Would that work? Please excuse my ignorance. I had thought that you needed a P.A. for microphones, but then I realized I don't really know exactly what a P.A. is. If it makes a difference, this is an 80 watt Peavy TKO 115. As always, mods please move it if I'm in the wrong forum.

2. Matthew Bryson

Matthew Bryson Guest

Jul 30, 2001
    Can I plug a microphone into a bass amp and have it work?

3. BassWizard55

BassWizard55 Guest

Dec 21, 2002
    Rome, Ga
    A harmonica would sound like sh*t through a bass amp. Are you two planning on playing somewhere, if so, just rent a small P.A. system. Go to the Peavey website, and find out the specs.

4. Matthew Bryson

Matthew Bryson Guest

Jul 30, 2001
    Thanks wizard - I'll have to borow a mic from another friend and have him try that before he goes and buys a mic with the intention of using it through my amp. I believe you that it will sound like 'S'. To answer your question - no, we are not playing anywhere, just living room jams over a few cold ones. So we won't be renting a PA. What specs should I check out at the Peavy site?

5. ESP-LTD

ESP-LTD

Sep 9, 2001
    Idaho
    He might want to check out a Fender Champ- they make about 4-8 watts into a single 10" speaker. Put a transformer on the harmonica so it converts the XLR to a 1/4" phone plug. A pal plays a harmonica and tells me it's a popular setup. You need lots of mids and some highs for harmonica; bass amps would sound pretty dull.