1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

bass amp / P.A. ?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Matthew Bryson, Jan 20, 2003.

1. Matthew Bryson

Matthew Bryson Guest

Jul 30, 2001
    The other night a had a buddy over for a couple of beers. He likes to play harmonica and we ended up playing a little blues. He asked me how many in's do you have on your amp? He was figuring that he should buy a cheap mic one of these days so that he can plug in to my amp when we jam. Would that work? Please excuse my ignorance. I had thought that you needed a P.A. for microphones, but then I realized I don't really know exactly what a P.A. is. If it makes a difference, this is an 80 watt Peavy TKO 115. As always, mods please move it if I'm in the wrong forum.

2. Matthew Bryson

Matthew Bryson Guest

Jul 30, 2001
    Can I plug a microphone into a bass amp and have it work?

3. BassWizard55

BassWizard55 Guest

Dec 21, 2002
    Rome, Ga
    A harmonica would sound like sh*t through a bass amp. Are you two planning on playing somewhere, if so, just rent a small P.A. system. Go to the Peavey website, and find out the specs.

4. Matthew Bryson

Matthew Bryson Guest

Jul 30, 2001
    Thanks wizard - I'll have to borow a mic from another friend and have him try that before he goes and buys a mic with the intention of using it through my amp. I believe you that it will sound like 'S'. To answer your question - no, we are not playing anywhere, just living room jams over a few cold ones. So we won't be renting a PA. What specs should I check out at the Peavy site?

5. ESP-LTD

ESP-LTD

Sep 9, 2001
    Idaho
    He might want to check out a Fender Champ- they make about 4-8 watts into a single 10" speaker. Put a transformer on the harmonica so it converts the XLR to a 1/4" phone plug. A pal plays a harmonica and tells me it's a popular setup. You need lots of mids and some highs for harmonica; bass amps would sound pretty dull.