Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Bass amp positions?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by MortuaryRiot, Jun 1, 2004.

1. MortuaryRiot

MortuaryRiot

Jun 1, 2004
    I own a pretty loud bass amp(200watt) but it still seems to be over powered at times by the my guitarists half stacks. They told me to have my amp face the wall in order to carry the bass sound out more. I was just curious if this technique will really work or not (I haven’t tried it yet).
    We play in a basement so the walls are concrete.
    I do use a pedal to get more of a boost at times as well but still isn’t good enough for me.
    Any other suggestions to help hear it better (tilting my amp?)

2. lbanks

lbanks

Jul 17, 2003
    Ennui, IN USA
    Elevating or tilting the cab could help, but it sounds as though you need more power or less guitar...

3. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Less guitar is probably better. Since you're in a basement, that much sound can be very destructive. Wear ear protection AND turn down.

4. Turnaround

Turnaround Commercial User

May 6, 2004
    Toronto Canada
    Instrument Technician, Club Bass and Guitar - Toronto
    If you face your amp to the wall, you will lose a lot of presence since 90% of you sound will be reflected sound. It is better to back your amp up close to the wall, but facing outwards. Then waves emanating from the front of the cabinet that radiate toward the back of the box will be reflected forward by the wall.

This is a mixed blessing though, since the reflected waves from the wall will be somewhat out of phase with those from the front of the cabinet, so some cancellation will occur. Generally you will get some sound reinforcement though.

Then again, if your band is loud, 200 watts isn't much horsepower for a bass rig...

5. I think they told you to face it at the wall, so they would be louder.

But that's just what I am thinking.

6. To play in a band with a drummer , you need 300-400 watts. You don't want to turn up an amp more than 3/4 of the way. It sounds better to have more watts not turned up so much than fewer watts turned all the way up. You are also battling your guitarist for volume.......you need more wattage........

:ninja: Treena

7. Petebass

Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    Moved to Amps.

8. Suburban

Suburban

Jan 15, 2001
    lower mid Sweden
    AYE to that!

Double-aye, if possible!

9. LarryO

LarryO

Apr 4, 2004
    You need more power. If you have to make due with what you have you'll need to do some eq "tweaking"

10. bigbajo60

bigbajo60

Nov 7, 2003
    Laredo, Texas
    Careful with backing your speaker cabs too close to the wall...

If your cabs are rear ported and you interfere with the movement of air into and out of the box, you could damage your drivers. Otherwise, getting the cabs closer to a wall... or better yet, a corner will enhance the perceived amount of bass!

11. Mcrelly

Mcrelly

Jun 16, 2003
    Minnesota, USA
    if I remember right from accoustics class. every extra surface you can have your sound reflect off of will, in theory, give you an extra 3db (double acoustic energy) IF ITS IN PHASE of course.

TRY PUTTING YOUR AMP IN A CORNER (FACING THE BAND) BUT EQUAL DISTANCES FROM EACH SIDE WALL.

also if you are on a non-concrete floor make sure you don't have casters isolating your cab from the floor. I know that with louder and more powerful cabs many would opt for isolation, but I know "accoustic coupling" works with lower power amps. I was there once.

12. GrapeBass

GrapeBass

Jun 10, 2004
    Toronto
    Graphic designer: Yorkville Sound
    Listen to "Mcrelly"

Corner placement would give better bottom...

Be careful of playing too loudly... get the band to turn down or use smaller amps, especially in the basement... When I showed up for practice one day with a Traynor YBA1 (40 Watts - tube) and an elite M600 (2x10 tweeter sealed and xo removed) my keyboardist laughed and said it would never work... Now, if you know me, I just have to have my 10s... so I tried it and indeed it wasn't up to snuff, but that was with the drivers horizontal... Since the cab was originally meant for PA with a sub, it's kind've small and the bottom end is lacking - although, it's very punchy... Anyways, I rotated the cab and placed it on it's side, moved it to a corner and now he says I'm too loud! Go figure...

Jb