1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

bass amp question

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by bassist6464, Oct 1, 2004.

1. bassist6464

bassist6464

Jun 12, 2004
    my buddie has a 15 watt marshall guitar amp and i want to play with him but dont want to spend alot of money on a bass amp, should i get a first act 15 watt amp for like 70.00 or a rouge 20 watt for 50-60.00,,, not sure what to do???

2. Just about how much money is not too much? I was in the same boat as you, and let me tell you, a 15 watt marshall for guitar can put out a lot of sound.

Here's what i did, i wanted an amp that could be heard over that stupid little 15 watt guitar... and over the drums and in a small auditorium sounds good. So for a amp that can do that, you want 100 - 150 watt amp, it'll last you a while too, if it's your first amp you'll be pleased. I have a Peavey TNT 115 - 150 watts, and i can put another 200 watts into it with a cab.

So go on musicians friend or something, and look at what amps are out there that have at least 100 watts, you're going to end up spending over $400. Thats the thing, bass amps just aren't as loud as guitar amps, so we have to go big.

*Another note, peavey will give you a lot better tone than rogue.