1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Bass Amp Question

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by lttoler, Mar 21, 2006.

1. lttoler

lttoler

Dec 14, 2005
    Georgia
    I am actually a guitarist in my band but I played bass in my high school band for 4 years. Recently we decided to by a new bass rig for our bassist who has only been playing for about a year. We bought a Peavey Firebas 700 head and a Hartke 4x10 cab, and we also have a cab with one 15" Eminence Kappa. When I bought the amp and cab I figured that it would have plenty of power to get the job done, but when we play, it always peaks out really bad and the speaker protection light always comes on. Should we invest in a new amp or get something like a power amp? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!!

2. Mcrelly

Mcrelly

Jun 16, 2003
    Minnesota, USA
    for me my rule of thumb is have AT LEAST as many watts available from your amp at 4ohms equal to the watts RMS that the cabs can handle. like right now I have two 8ohm cabs (equals 4ohms connected together) each rated at 300w, x2 = 600w. my one amp is 550w into 4ohms, so, almost equal and it doesn't seem to struggle with volume.

some players like to have TWICE as much power available as your cabs can handle. my OTHER rack can run 1200w into 4ohms. experimenting with my particular cabs, aguilar gs112's, 1200 seem WAY beyond what I will ever need to pump into them.

so I think that EQUAL or maybe TWICE the power would be very sufficient, AS LONG AS THE MFG. RATES THEIR WATTAGE FAIRLY.

the peavey is rated at 475w into 4ohms which seems quite high, but I don't know the efficiency or how loud you really need the bass to be.

some other things to consider are the speakers ALL IN PHASE? disconnect the speaker cable from the amp and touch it to a small 9v battery to the tip and shaft of plug. look at the cones and see if they all move in the same direction. if not the bass from the speakers moving in the opposite direction will partially cancel some of the overall bass and cause your player to boost bass and max out the amp sooner.

another consideration is to use some more mids and less low bass. low bass eats up power quicker.

good luck!!!

BTW I think what you have should work, unless you play REALLY LOUD!

3. lttoler

lttoler

Dec 14, 2005
    Georgia
    good deal, our first show in in 2 weeks. I bought this amp and the Hartke 4x10 cab because I thought they were a great deal. Both for $500 shipped on ebay, and seem to be in great condition. I'll just have to work with it some more and then re-evaluate it from there. Thanks!

4. lomer

lomer

Mar 20, 2005
    Perth, Australia
    Yeah just keep fiddling with your amp settings man, it sounds like you might have the gain a bit too high.... Try turning that down and turning up the volume a bit more.