Bass Amp Question

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by whirlingdervish, Sep 18, 2006.

1. whirlingdervish

whirlingdervish

Sep 18, 2006
    The bass player in our band has a Trace Elliot pre-amp with 8 ohms out that he really likes and a 4 ohms in Ampeg SVT410HLF Bass speaker cab. With this as the ground work what would you bass players out there recommend as a good idea for an in between amp head or power amp to get the most out of this rig on the cheap (under $400)? looking for good clean and dirty tones.

This might be a stupid question but I don't have much experience with bass rigs. thank you.

2. fdeck

fdeck Supporting Member Commercial User

Mar 20, 2004
    Madison WI
    HPF Technology LLC
    Model number of the Trace? I want to look up the specs and see if it says anything about running at 4 Ohms.

Technically speaking, the Trace is an amp, not a pre-amp. No big deal, just terminology. If it doesn't handle 4 Ohms, your only real recourse is re-wiring the cab to 16 Ohms, which would probably result in a disappointing volume level compared to what the speaker is capable of.

3. whirlingdervish

whirlingdervish

Sep 18, 2006
    the trace elliot is a gp7sm I think. The reason I call it a pre-amp is because it says "pre-amp" on it. not sure why.

would it be best to sell the trace and just get a different head?

4. fdeck

fdeck Supporting Member Commercial User

Mar 20, 2004
    Madison WI
    HPF Technology LLC
    Aha. From what I can tell, it appears that gp7sm is the preamp that goes on the front of more than one bass head model. So you might have to look for a nameplate on the back. But if it says 8 Ohms, that's a pretty good clue that the head is designed for 8 Ohms.