Bass amp Question

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by dfreeman, Oct 6, 2002.

1. I just got a SWR workingman's 300 head and a brand new Hartke 4x10 cab. I'm still having a bit of trouble understanding ohms. Ok, right now my amp is sending 160 watts to my 8 ohms cab. If I add a 1x15 (8ohms) cab to that, my amp will be sending out 270 watts at 4 ohms, right? But heres my question, will my amp be sending out 270 watts to each cab, or 270 watts between the 2 cabs (135 watts to each cab)? Overall, how much louder will my setup be if I added that 1x15 8 ohms cab?
  2. Tim Skaggs

Tim Skaggs

Sep 28, 2002
    NW Arkansas
    Ohms are a measure of resistance, or in this case, impedance. As you decrease the impedance, an audio amplifier's output will increase current (amps) and power (watts). This is not an unlimited process. As you probably know, if you get the impedance too low, the current will go too high and possibly damage the amp. In your case, if you add the additional 8 ohm cab, your amp will put out approximately twice the power. Your second statement is correct, your amp will produce a total or 270 (or more) watts divided equally between the two impedance loads. How much louder? It can be calculated, but I can't tell you exactly how to do it here. In my experience, if you add a 15" to a 4X10" you will get a significant improvement in volume, bottom end, and just overall tone IF the 15" is a good quality cab & speaker. You could possible add a cheap, inefficient 15" and make your sound worse. My guess is, if you add a Hartke cab, or any other good cab with a 15" you'll love it.