1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Bass amp question

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Poglia, May 21, 2011.

1. Poglia

Poglia

May 11, 2011
    Hello,

My practice amp has an instrument input and a CD input/line in. Do you think I could plug my bass on the instrument input and my friend's guitar (no distortion) in the CD input/line in so we can jam simultaneously with just one amp?

Thanks.

2. billfitzmaurice

billfitzmaurice Commercial User

Sep 15, 2004
    New Hampshire
    Owner, Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design
    An instrument doesn't have adequate voltage output to drive a line level input.

3. Does your friend have a headphone amp? I've done that trick before.

I bet if one of your guitars is active, that might work as well. But I haven't tried that...

4. dincz

dincz

Sep 25, 2010
    Czech Republic
    The CD/Line input is likely to be fairly low impedance as well as requiring more level than an instrument can normally provide.

It might be OK if you're connecting an active bass/guitar to the CD input - provided you don't need maximum volume.

In any case, you won't damage anything by trying it.

5. Poglia

Poglia

May 11, 2011
    Thanks guys. Both my bass and my friend's guitar are passive, but we don't need high volume at all. Just a small jam to see if it works. We will try tomorrow.