1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Bass Amp Recomendations

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by espltdb104, Aug 1, 2012.

1. espltdb104

espltdb104

Jul 31, 2012
    I've been playing bass for about 3 months now and I'm saving up for a bass amp that I could use for years to gig and stuff when I get better. My bass is an esp ltd b-104 if that helps you guys recommend an amp that would go with that. My budget is about $350 and under. I don't know how many watts are neccesary to play with a band so I need help deciding what amp to get.

2. will33

will33

May 22, 2006
    austin,tx
    Depends on the band, how loud you play, where you play (PA support or not), but, general rule of thumb is a good 300 watts and 1 bigger cab (410/212/215,etc.) or 2 smaller ones (210/115/112,etc.).

There's really more to it that just that, but it's a general guidline for a gigging rig. Some folks can get away with less, some think they need much more.

I'd keep practicing and try to save a little more money. Quality used stuff is better than cheap new stuff. Quality new stuff is great.

Ask about what deals you find here and somebody will have owned or played one.

3. A $350 budget for a gigging rig will relegate you to buying used. I try to find deals all the time on used gear as you get much more bang for the buck. IMO, you will need a minimum of 300 watts for a rig that can keep up with a drummer and guitar.

4. I gigged for a long time playing loud rock music in bars with Trace Elliot single 15 and 250W amp. Granted they are two of the better bits of gear ever made but watts are watts.

Two cabs is always better sounding than one cab. More speakers beats more watts every time.

Two of a good sounding cab is always better sounding than mixing good sounding cabs.

Used is the only way to get a big rig for $350. Just a few more dollars would get you something very nice. Peavey gear is hard to go past for reliable bang for buck. I've played a few of them and they all sounded OK. The "MARK" series are ridiculously cheap in US.

$350 should easily get you a used 2x10 Rumble 350 which is loud enough for a rock bar gig so long as your gui**** isn't sporting a 4x12. The problem with them is they don't take extension speakers.

5. A Hartke Hydrive 210 combo sounds great as well a an SWR Working Mans 10. Both are combos and can be had on that budget used plus the Hartke will keep up with a band.