Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Bass Amp Recommendations

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Emerica910, Feb 26, 2005.

1. Emerica910

Emerica910

Feb 21, 2005
    Does anybody have any bass amp recommendations? I've been seriously considering an SWR 350X head with an SWR WorkingPro 4x10 cabinet. I'd like to hear what everybody thinks, also throw me a couple other options please. Thanks!

2. ardorx

ardorx

Sep 23, 2004
    Sugar Land, TX
    I think the swr rig doesnt sound half bad. But there are many more low cost options out there. just i've heard all kinds of stuff about the 350x, plus i had one for a while and it kept overheating. now i have a pre/power rack so it's all good. but check this out.
    for a pretty inexpensive yet good rig, i would say go for an avatar cabinet and a behringer bx3000t. despite all the behringer bashing, i own one of these heads and i must say, for $230, they get the job done and then some.

www.avatarspeakers.com

3. Emerica910

Emerica910

Feb 21, 2005
    I do know a lot of people who absolutely hate Behringers, but it sounds like a nice rig.

4. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    Buy yourself an Eden amp. Take a look at the amps available from Genz Benz as well.

-Mike

5. Quadzilla

Quadzilla Supporting Member

6. R Briere

R Briere Bass-ically Yours

I'll second Mike on the Genz Benz amps. Great stuff at a VERY affordable price. BTW, very affordable doesn't always mean cheap. :^>) IN the MI business, as in so many others, you get what you pay for. If five manufacturers are selling a 1200 watt amp for $1,000 and two are selling 1200 watt amps for $400, you can rest assured that Murphy's Law is at work.

As for "bashing". It's been my experience that it's usually founded in truth if it's been around long enough. Having said that, there's a TON of misinformation out there on many products. I, for one, am thrilled to see manufacturers on these forums who care about their products and come to their aid when misinformation begins to run rampant. We're fortunate, indeed, to have TalkBass. :)

7. Quadzilla

Briere (and all),

First off, it's not $400, it's really about $500 (and that's at near dealer cost, MSRP is $899).

Secondly, occasionally there are exceptions to the rule "you get what you pay for". As in the case of Avatar, which I'm not trying to brag, but I was one of the first if not the first to start using their cabs and review them here on Talkbass. You get a lot for your money with Avatar, as is the case with this Kustom head.

There are exceptions my friend, and it just so happens I found a couple (and successfully spread the word on one - Avatar) and am spreading the word to save TBers some CASH. You don't have to spend a ton to have great gear and great tone!

8. First off.
    What price range are you in for the amp and cabinet?
    What kind of gigs, music,ect are you using it for?
    What is your ear and mind looking for in the tone of the amp and cabinet?
    All theese play into what would be right for your rig.

Mark

9. R Briere

R Briere Bass-ically Yours

Quad....at first read I wasn't sure what you were talking about. :^>) I then went back and saw your link to Kustom. I wasn't referring to them in my post but you bring up a good example and only time will tell what their track record becomes.

IMHO, there are really only two points to be considered here. All amp manufacturers are VERY aware of what their competitors are up to and they have to play the same games that dealers do; they try to get their products as competitive as they can in order to gain market share--this includes keeping their pricing competitive as well as the features and specs.

Secondly, when it comes right down to the basic level of "suppliers", most of the amp manufacturers buy many of their parts from the same sources. These sources manufacture different grades of components however.

So, I stand by my previous statement--In the long run, you get what you pay for. That doesn't mean that someone with $500 in their pocket can't get a "1200 watt amplifier". It simply means that there's no "FREE LUNCH".

Speaking of Avatar. I've heard plenty of good things about them. You must have done your job well. :^>)

10. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    instead of the 350x, why not the ol' Workingman's head?

together they sound great, and the EQ is voiced nicely. another great head i recently tried was an Ashdown MAG300. again, great sounding and EQ'ed voiced amp. also, quite inexpensive!

11. SirPoonga

SirPoonga

Jan 18, 2005
    $150 at zzsounds.com for a blemish stock.
    I preordered. Hopefully will ship within a week. Going to get the avatar sb112. Just need something to play with at home. That should all work :)

12. Actually, I've seen a B-stock of the Behringer head at zzounds.com sell for 150, right now. Hot freakin' deal.

Lol ^ Just saw that guy posted the same thing.

13. Quadzilla

Well Briere, just trying to fine great gear at low prices and pass it along to tbers. Hopefully this Kustom head is another Avatar find for me (and us). Time will tell, but there are already some semi-big named bassist using this head.

Erben Perez, bassist for Marc Anthony
    Roger Segal, bassist for Trash Light Vision
    FreakBass, bassist for well..... Freakbass! :)
    Dennis Thompson bassist for MC5

In talking with Kustom, none of these guys is paid by them. At most they got a free head and cab. Freakbass even loved his so much that he bought another with his own money! These are serious touring players. Anyway...