Bass Amp repair help!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Twitch Kungfu, Jun 6, 2003.

1. Well, I have a stone 25 watt amp. I have grown out and out of the small wattage stage, but I still want to fix it, It has been broken for a while and finally has bugged me to death.

It turns on, but wont make any noise.. I dont understand why. Nothing is wrong with the speaker, and the Input Jack looks fine.

Any hints as to what it might be?
  2. Unfortunately, it's impossible to give you much help..."turns on but won't make noise" isn't much to go on. It could be as simple as a burnt out speaker (you say the speaker's fine but what's the basis for that conclusion?) or even a bad connection say between the amp and the speaker, or a bad connection between the input jack and the preamp stage. (I'm assuming you have a light that tells you the amp is on, well that eliminates the blown fuse...) Or it could also be that you've blown the output stage (for this little amp, that could be a single IC or a couple of cheapo transistors)

A qualified tech could narrow down the problem fairly quickly. But that costs money, and frankly a 25 watt amp ain't worth paying somebody to fix. Now, if you were to take an electronics course, get a good digital multimeter, and use the broken amp to learn some electrical troubleshooting skills....even if you don't fix the amp, the education you would receive... (blah blah blah):rolleyes:
  3. ChenNuts44

Nov 18, 2001
    Davenport, IA
    where in davenport are you? did it just suddenly stop working? were you playing it when it "died"? did you just turn it on one day and nothing ever came out again? ever drop it or have it get knocked around? any other info about it would be appreciated. the more info we get, the more we can narrow it down.
  4. i had the same problem with my hartke combo... opened the back up to realize the wires connecting the amp to the speakers wre disconnected. Check the connection to the speakers and the amp... I guarantee you thats the problem...if you had a blown speaker, its make noise, very unpleasant noise though.